• At the crazy wine dinner.

Rosy brandy color, most sugar burnt, left with great nose, crystal clear wine. Sense of honey, apricot, went superbly well with foie gras. Hint of chinese medicated wine.

• Chateau d'Yquem Masterclass (Amber, Hong Kong): Apparently, this vintage was similar to 2005 as the berries and yields were unusually large. Dark, clear amber in the glass. Slightly oxidised nose - marmalade. Palate good though with various citrus peel flavours. Good balance.

• Brown. When the decanter came in I thought; Port". To my surprise, this wine possessed classic orange and abricot peel scents, as well as a whiff of marmelade. The taste was a bit bizarre and had lost most of its vinous appeal. Trying hard as I could, I managed to identify what I would call an orange chocolate truffle taste. However, this wine is 20 years over the hill. There was no botrytis left and the overall impression was one of a boney" wine. One taster rated the wine , and argued that the wine had lost its wine appeal", therefore it should be graded accordingly if the 100 point scale is to be used judiciously. In my eagerness to find something positive about the wine, I scored it However, is probably more correct. I guess that with experience comes a better undertanding of how to utilize the points below the high 80’s.

JancisRobinson.com

NOTE: Some content is property of JancisRobinson.com.