• Oxidative. "Tastes like a hot dog with sweet pickle relish." There was still some goodness under the weirdness, but not enough to make it worth drinking. But I suspect some bottles will still show well.

• A great showing. From a bottle with a spinning capsule and bottom neck fill. This was poured alongside a 2000 Barolo, and didn't seem that out of place.

Surprisingly youthful color, though there's some bricking at the rim. In the mouth, tannins are mostly resolved, there's some fruit left but not enough, and it's a little bit astringent on the end- I imagine this peaked 2-5 years ago.

But the nose- wow. Classic Draper perfume-- while I didn't taste this blind, I swear I could nail this alongside the other older Ridge Zins I've had. A little musty when it was first opened, but once that was gone there was this laser beam of sweet, almost cassis like fruit, along with floral and woodsy notes. Great, great nose.

Further evidence that the now-lost Zinfandel vines at this vineyard were among the greatest there were.

• Over the hill. Perfect cork, but there's a tint of murky root beer in its coloration. Too bad. It's from a batch of other perfectly stored bottles, but this one has given up the ghost it looks like. I'll wait awhile to see if this blows off, I've experienced stranger things, believe me. If no other follow up notes, this one is gone.
    Next night: Okay this isn't a flawed bottle, or completely gone, but it's still seriously on the downhill slope and a rarity, for me at least, in that it's a Ridge wine that was probably at its best at age 10 instead of 20. Murky mulberry color, with some ambering of the rim. The seriously bad funk blew off and now it's just kind of a muted, clean, uninteresting stewed fruit. The palate is also kind of muted, faded, clean, but vacant. There's fruit still, and tannins, with all the components, but it's just OLD. If I've alluded to female analogies to describe wines lately, this is a saggy old grandma. Not mean spirited, just Alzheimer's ridden, staring at the TV, her better days behind her with barely a trace. Was probably a mid-eighties wine in it's heyday. Bye, Grandma.