1. EndreS

EndreS

• Haut Brion Tasting 1918-1999 (Oslo): High upper shoulder fill. Sound cork that came out in two pieces. Still a bit red, long watery rim. Chocolate, coffee, some leather on the nose; In the mouth there is an impression of minerals and stones, slightly earthy, yet elegant, very long, fresh, gorgeous finish. What a wine at almost 100 years!

• Chateau Haut-Brion Vertical (Litteraturhuset, Oslo): I have never been as excited to taste a wine as I was when this was poured, and boy did it deliver! Soaring with delicate aromas of red cherry-like fruits, cigar box, soil and minerals. The tannins were practically all gone, but for some dusty remains. Very light, but the amount of fruit still present was amazing, perfectly balanced by the acid. Last forever. I love this wine.

• From a double magnum

If tasted blind, I would have guessed as a mid 70’s cal cab. Explosive nose, mint, eucalyptus, cinnamon, nutmeg. The palate display nice vibrant fruit, fully resolved tannin is the only thing that tells me this wine is old. Very little HB character made me to lower my rating. 94 pts.

The second night, the first pour showed not as explosive nose and drier palate. This was a good indication that it was an authentic bottle not that I would think otherwise about any wines from Bern’s cellar. After awhile, it showed very similar to the first night but slightly more complexity. 95 pts.