1. Violalto

Violalto

• Hanging on well, still looks and smells like a muscular Heitz Cabernet. I was concerned that I had waited too long on this one but not so. While I think the intensity of the fruit has faded some, it still represents an excellent example of Joe Heitz' big contribution to Napa wine making...

• In a nice place, with high-toned cranberry fruit and a lot of secondary, cedar aspects. Very nice with Thanksgiving dinner. I'd drink soon fwiw.

• Pop and pour. At first, the wine gave off a slight funk. I thought - "This is over the hill. Why do I keep wines more than 10 years?" Poured a glass and let it sit for a few minutes.
    What a difference.
    Wonderful nose of cherries, mint and dried flowers. Rich and elegant. Smooth tannins that cares the mouth, with just the right amount of acidity to ready your mouth for another sip. It shows some signs of fading as the evening goes on; after a few hours, it starts to lose focus and verve but for the first few hours, it is all there. Nice wine.

• We had it on our anniversary -- super wine with some backbone left. Its fantastic if you can find any more.

• Great napa cab, and drinking so nicely here. I had a sniff of the cork after I pulled it and it was pure perfume -- all lavender and violets. We decanted it for an hour or so and it was gorgeous. Notes of blueberries and vanilla. This has aged really well I think.