1. WeinBaum

WeinBaum

• Deep Red color with no brown on the edges. Rich blackberry with a chocolate backdrop. Dense and rich yet smooth as silk. And the classic Winston Hill nose in spades. This may be approaching its peak, but I am saving one more bottle for next year. California Cab doesn't get any better than this.

• Just spectacular. Last bottle of a case of this wine and I wish I had bought 5 cases. TONS of ripe, rich cassis with a hint of oak, vanilla, some Rutherford dust and a bit of earth & leather that emerge after an hour or two. Medium body with a super-silky/velvety texture and a long, long, long fruity (cassis), smooth finish. Plenty of structure to balance out all the extremely concentrated and ripe fruit. Big, but not overdone and reminds me of a 2nd growth bordeaux. Enjoyed it with veal chops and it was an absolutely perfect match. Seems to be improving with age - not losing any fruit or concentration, but mellowing and adding texture . Best cabernet I have in a long, long time.

• I can't put my finger on it but this wine seemed corked but not exactly. This is the third bottle that I have consumed over the past three years and not one of them has intrigued me. I may have to donate to a local charity as I doubt I will return to this wine.

• Yet another great bottle. Big nose as usual with dark berry, cassis, oak and vanilla dominating. Rich, full, smooth mouthfeel with good structure and a nice, medium and slightly acidic finish. Again just slightly rough tannins, and just a bit more of a blockbuster style than prior bottles.

• Another terrific bottle! This was the best bottle yet - and the others have been outstanding. BIG, full, rich nose of dark berry, cassis, vanilla, oak and what I think of as Rutherford "dust" -- really enticing. Big, plush mouthfeel and concentrated flavors that match the nose. Very nice medium long, and just slightly acidic, finish that extends the flavors. My only negatives with this bottle were the acidic finish and the slightly rough tannins. This is just short of spectacular - and may reach that level with more bottle time.