1. niksptan

2. cnxy

3. alhun

• A good fairly simple wine. Good fruit, light tannin. Drinking well now.

• Pop and poured, this was very smooth - invitingly so - right out of the bottle. Somewhat classic South Australian nose, leather, cassis, chocolate, intense cherries/berries and shrubbery. Down the hatch its got a fresh fruit overtone, sides of citrus. A little viscous, made me wonder if this was due to it being chilled in the fridge too long. Still a winner though.

• Kaboom - cliché Aussie shiraz fruit bomb - if that's your style then you'll be all over this - would almost be worth the QPR if it is - great to drink a wine like this every so often, but not very often....

• I absolutely loved this wine after at least 1 hour decant. It's pure bliss baby. Will pay $75 for the 06 vintage

• Stunning in its velvety flavor profile which has developed very well since bottling. After release, I had a bottle just to set a baseline. It was a rough and rugged monster that had no business being anywhere near a glass. I told people it was like eating blackberry jam that had been sitting on a railroad tie on a hot day. It was just so rich, smokey, and bursting with fruit.

I opened the bottle at a family gathering where most of us knew the name, year, and bottle very well. We all just sat silently with our first few sips because this wine was just something that demanded it. We all were just giving it our full attention and it was well deserved. The fruit was still there but everything around it had developed into an elegant woman dressed for a ball instead of teen looking for a punk rave.

I don't usually get into the exercise of describing the flavors because it's been done to death but - suffice to say that this wine is every bit worth the price I paid. It is drinking perfectly right now and should continue for another year or two but if you have some you need to pull the corks on these now as the flavors are so hedonistically perfect that it won't pay to wait any longer. I will be doing exactly that with the remainder of mine.

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes - No / Comment

• By Josh Raynolds
    September/October 2009, IWC Issue #146, (See more on Vinous...)

(Mollydooker Wines Shiraz Carnival of Love McLaren Vale) Subscribe to see review text.

James Halliday Australian Wine Companion

NOTE: Some content is property of Vinous and James Halliday Australian Wine Companion.