• Brunellos 15+ years and older (Moderno, Highland Park IL): nose: very savory and balanced nose with aromatic tones of roasted herbs, incense, red fruits, dark red cherries, violets and some meaty tones as well. Very good complexity, but lacking some depth.

taste: medium/full bodied with medium+ acidity. There are some nice tannins still along with balanced and savory tones of dark red cherries, red fruits, violets and a good dose of roasted herbs too.

overall: This needed a few swirls to get going, but was real lovely once it did. It did start to fall apart a bit after about 3 hours as it became more soy based. Still, there was a great savory quality across the palate and nose.

• A Weekend in Excess; 1/20/2012-1/21/2012 (Trondheim, Norway): Some tart fruit, decent, some spiciness, but on its way down.

• This amber-colored wine was tasted in single-blind fashion at Vintage Wines, Ltd., where we conducted a Montalcino/Montepulciano/Umbria theme tasting. The bottle was kindly provided by Ken Johnson. I arrived a bit late, and only took a quick sniff and taste early on. The wine was intact at that point, as verified by tasters who had arrived earlier. However, by the time I re-visited the wine (within 20-30 minutes) it had faded, with remnants of stewed tomatoes and other vegetal aromas/flavors. I cannot score this wine in light of the fact that I did not taste it in the proper time frame. That said, I can say that it is definitely a "one course wine" at this point. Drink it now, and do not aerate for any length of time.

• Puchased for $20 right after release and held in my temperature controlled cellar. I thought this bottle was over the hill, lacking the beautiful aromatics that an old Barolo will develop.

• What an amazing Italian wine experience! I had stopped driniking my Italians and had been focusing exclusively on red burgs and cabs, but this wine made me realize how great Italians can be when they have some age on them. Spectacular balance, great, heady nose of dark berries, and finish 45 seconds long. Ample structure balancing out the dignified fruits. Peaking now. This was my one and only bottle of this. I will be looking for more.