1. Frank Murray III

Frank Murray III

• Wondeful wine in its prime. Pith has subsided and now full of fruit and balance.

• The bouquet is very meaty, with rosemary and pine needle aromas underneath. Dark fruit and roasted meats on the palate with a green/herbal undertone. The acid stands out a bit too much on the palate knocking it down a couple of points for me.

• Wine was definitely on the downward slope. Fruit was limited and there was not much of a finish left on this wine. Definitely time to drink.

• Still drinking young and exuberant. Full nose gives sweet blackberry, smoke, citrus and meat notes. Palate is medium-to-full bodied with smooth black fruit and a nice undercut of juicy acidity. Fresh and lively. Fruit and acid working together. This can age more, but drinking so well now.

• This is my last 2005 Rosella's and it's just a gem. When I reloaded this in 2009 to get some more bottles for the cellar, at 21 bucks on the secondary market I should have bought all of that was offered, yet I took only a couple at that time. Tonight, I opened this and tracked it over about 3 hours. I had it with dinner, paired with a real nice whole wheat bread that I dipped in olive oil and black pepper, along with an Israeli couscous sprinkled with grated parm. It paired just excellent. Shows pepper, smoke and cooked meat on the aromatic, then a palate of steak sauce, blueberry fruit, and classic Rosella's citrus that is still pungent and lively. Finishes with black pepper, citrus and some light chocolate. As I have often said about Rosella's, this is a vineyard that really exhibits terroir, one that for me is so distinctive and one Adam has always done so well. I'll close this note tomorrow to see if further ox'ing changes the wine but this is in a good place now.....an additional day doesn't change the wine all that much, other than the fruit comes out to the front of the stage a bit more and some garrigue in the aromatic. All in, this is really drinking well right now and there is still good acid here to carry the wine through 2014.