• From a 3 liter (47/95) Great color with nice dark red color and no signs of bricking or browning. Cork crumbled a bit on upper portion, but clearly provided a nice seal. Initially wine was a bit lean and full of sage aromas, not the best, but after 30 min or so, this began to really bloom into something pretty special with dark red sour cherry fruits dominating the taste profile. An amazing transformation as it developed more with each sip in a very good way. Smooth and almost succulent with nice acid lift. Fully resolved tannins allowed this to be an easy drinker. Before I could blink half the bottle was gone before I had to leave myself. This easily exceed my expectations and I maybe underrating this a point or two. I think this was the only year the Reserve was made, too bad, but HSS does not suck either.

• I opened the bottle I received from a friend with little expectation of the wine still being any good. I was pleasantly surprised as I found only slight bricking and a general color of a wine half its age. The nose was a touch muted but still had classic cabernet overtones. The tannins were fully integrated. More red fruit than dark fruit with just a hint of green pepper. The pepper was not at all unpleasant and reminded me of the normal greeness found in Italian merlot. Not an overly complex wine but very cool nonetheless. This was the transition year at Shafer and this was the only wine labeled cabernet reserve they made to my knowledge. I kept the empty bottle.

• Nasty caramel flavors and off notes - maderized.

NOTE: Some content is property of