1. lirvingham

2. c141heaven

c141heaven

3. mjerome

mjerome

• Finished 4th of 6 in a blind tasting, my #1. Much older than the other chards in the group. Deep yellow color, nicely balanced acidity, fruit, and oak.

• This is a great California version of a premier cru white Burgundy. Almost 10 years old and still developing. Like great white Burgundies, it is at its best with food. We tried with a variety of creamy and milder cheeses and it was a 95. But drinking alone, the acidity picks up and the roundness and richness is not as evident. I give it a 91 as a wine to drink alone. It is not yet fully mature but it is so good now that it would not be a mistake to drink now. But I think serving with seafood, chicken (w/ richer sauces), and soft and mild cheeses will greatly enhance your enjoyment of this great wine.

• I still have 9 of these. I bought them to age. I taste them periodically. I was so impressed tonight. The color remains golden, I was looking for hints of age, darkenning but I am really surprised, the wine remains as clear as 8 years ago. The bouquet remains floral, the change has come on the palate, and primarily the after taste, for me. The immediate experience remains the lemon and butterscotch. The afterstaste goes to hard candy citrus flavors and really draws me in. I remain a big fan.

• Med yellow colour. Nose has fruit but mainly oak. Clean, light concentration, with heavy body. Sound and enjoyable, perhaps a little low on acid.

• Let this breathe for about thirty minutes. The nose screamed of fresh lemon zest. Not too much age showing aromatically.
    The mineral tones were present and the oak had subsided. Very smooth wine.
    Guava, more lemon peel and rind on the palate. Moderate finish. Drinking well. I can see how Hanzell Chard ages gracefully.

RJonWine.com

• By Richard Jennings
    4/24/2009, (See more on RJonWine.com...) 90 points

(Hanzell Chardonnay) Light sweet lemon and green apple nose; ripe lime, apple palate with medium acidity and green notes; medium finish 90+ pts. (has shown better in the past, seems to be in a dumb period)
  • By Richard Jennings
    12/5/2007, (See more on RJonWine.com...) 93 points

(Hanzell Chardonnay) Light gold color; high toned lime and cream nose; youthful and concentrated lime cream and mineral palate that opens up after 20 minutes or so; medium finish (great with our iceburg lettuce salad)

NOTE: Some content is property of Vinous and RJonWine.com.