1. wineholder

shapida

3. ptelgenh

ptelgenh

• Happy Aniv Joey @ Island Prime

• didn't decant, big mistake, consumed during three hour dinner out and was shut down the the whole time even though shared in 5 glasses. Not fair to give it a score with such improper care.

• ---
    COLOR: Medium garnet with soft garnet rim
    NOTE: Almost as beautiful as the 2002 Phelps Insignia, but a tinge of heat throughout lost the race. Still, this is real black fruit seduction in a glass. Less elegant than the Insignia, but more voluptuous in a sense. With wild abandon it pronounces itself in the nose with full-on blackberry and black cherry reduction sauce, then blackberry liqueur, then a dollop of moist cigar tobacco, leather, tar and black licorice. It's just that detectable note of heat in the nose that carries to the finish that's holding this back from being a 95 pointer. The mouth is sensual, with black fruit liqueurs swirling around complex 70% dark chocolate baking on hot limestone. It is like velvet seduction. I can't believe how much more pleasure I'm getting out of this versus the 2005 CCS I had a couple weeks back (which was my favorite 2005 Schrader until now). This is why I drink Schraders. I want my tongue coated in crushed velvet, and I want to remember it for 60+ seconds. This is doing that for me. I prefer the finish on this to the 2002 Insignia, because the tannins aren't clamping down but just keeping all the flavors persistent on my buds. What wonderful flavors!!! Blackberry, grilled black plum, 70% dark chocolate powder, mesquite dust. It is good to be me. It would cost me $440 today to repeat the adventure, but I did it for $250. Still a pretty penny, but a shiny penny!!!!

DECANT: 3 hr
    GLASS USED: Bordeaux
    TASTE: 9.4+
    OTHER:
    COST: 160
    VALUE: 8.0
    PREVIOUSLY TASTED: n/a
    TRY AGAIN: All gone... Drink now if you got it
    PAIRING: n/a (should have paired it with a marbled ribeye!)
    Inquiries can be addressed to troypeterson@usa.net
    ---

• I wish I could rate this because there was some great wine there but unfortunately it was corked which made it a bit musty and muted the flavor.

• Soft and velvety with lighter tannins than expected. Beautiful black fruits with medium length finish. I expected a little more from this bottle given its price, but it was still a great bottle.

• By Stephen Tanzer
    May/June 2007, IWC Issue #132, (See more on Vinous...)

(Schrader Cellars Cabernet Sauvignon RBS Beckstoffer To Kalon Vineyard Napa Valley) Subscribe to see review text.