1. Eric Guido

2. johnwine

johnwine

3. RussW

RussW

• The nose was reluctant at first, showing tart blackberry, herbs, and pepper, yet fleshed out and intensified with time in the glass, adding notes of green olive and crushed stone. On the palate, it was silky with lean black fruit tones, savory herbs and saline minerality. Dark fruit saturated the senses throughout the finish with white pepper notes lingering long.

• More savory than expected. Took a good amount of air exposure before the earthen notes lifted enough for some black currant to peek through. Nose is very pleasant light purple fruits but upon approach palate is all bay leaf, touch of garrique, dried herbs. Midway through the bottle this started to change as some of the currant and bit of black cherry emerges. More of a shape shifter than typical for a Carlisle. Have one more of these, will look to pair with something savory like an herbed roast, etc.

• I found this bottle in my inventory check I did over the holidays and it was a pleasant surprise. Was interested to see how it has aged, as well as how the wine would show in terms of ripeness. I opened this last night and had a large glass. Labeled at 15.2%, so my first thought was to assess for heat, which is in some comments in the other CT notes. In my experience here, I don't find it, although I am enjoying the wine at a cooler temp, too. Aromatically, shows the fruit forward syrah tones. Palate? Really enjoy it, as it reflects an iron, steak sauce and blue/black profile with plenty of juicy acidity. Only about 80 cases of this made so not sure I run into another bottle but this wine is aging well and probably has another 2-3 years of good drinking left in it, can go 4-6 more. In terms of syrah, as I think back, this may be the best ager from Mike I have opened. Drinking excellent. PS--there have been only 4 notes on this wine in CT in the last 18 months......not much in terms of drinking reference for those who are holding these and waiting to see how these are aging..I'll stand behind my drink window.

• Hard to remember any previous corked bottles from Carlisle but this one was badly corked.

• Can't believe I'm saying this, but I've finally experienced a Carlisle wine that didn't WOW me.
    It was hot, and there wasn't much exciting going on.

Perhaps a bad bottle? I hope so.

The Rhone Report

• By Josh Raynolds
    May/June 2007, IWC Issue #132, (See more on Vinous...)

(Carlisle Winery Syrah Cardiac Hill Bennett Valley) Subscribe to see review text.

NOTE: Some content is property of The Rhone Report and Vinous.