1. treaganjr

For The Love of Port

Winedoctor

• By Chris Kissack
    December 2008, (See more on Winedoctor...) 16.5 points

(Taylor's Vintage Port) I drank a lot more Port as a student than I do now; unfortunately I didn't keep good notes back then, but the year doesn't ring any bells for me, so this is perhaps my first experience of this vintage. Today the wine has a good colour in the glass, still showing a healthy red pigment although with a strong tawny element and not with a huge depth or opacity. The nose is quite mature, a touch spirity, with some gentle, stony, gritty red fruits. On the palate there is an immediately apparent sweetness which persists through to the finish, with a good substance, backbone of spirit and certainly some punch. In all honesty I suppose it wears its structure rather plainly, showing its firm grip without the softening features of fruit or texture that we can find in greater wines. Nevertheless, this certainly has some quality and it is quite sufficient for provoking reflection on a cold December's evening between Christmas and New Year, although I don;t think I will be looking to add any more to the cellar.

NOTE: Some content is property of For The Love of Port and Winedoctor.