1. juffer

juffer

Community Tasting Notes (11) Median Score: 88 points

• funky old nose, decent fruit, fading. Drink up

• No detailed notes. Wet wood/oak/dark fruit on the noes. Drank over 3 days using gas to preserve. Good fruit and I agree with other comments this is a good QPR at $15. More of an easy drinker with fruit up front, but it does lack the complexity of higher end syrah. It missed the mark for me a bit style wise, but still a solid wine. Needed more acid to be in balance. I may hold my final bottle for a few more years to see if anything interesting happens as there is decent tannic structure.

• Great bottle of Oregon Syrah for $15. Expressive nose, lots of red and blue fruit on the palate, long finish.

• I'm not generally contrarian in nature, but I have to disagree with most of the postings for this wine. I found this to be a great QPR wine at around $15. At this price point, a lot of North American syrah comes across as flabby cherry cola to me (Don't get me wrong, I've had some very good California syrah, just not at this price level). By contrast, this bottle had a relatively elegant nose of red fruit, a relatively light mid weight palate that contained decent minerality and plenty of acidity and fine grained tannins for a moderately long finish.

• There is a reason why Syrah have typically been my least favorite wine and this effort confirms my belief. As other have noted there is nothing to get excited about here. The nose is blah (maybe wet dirt) the taste is blah (overly acidic as noted before) and the finish is blah (ending in bitterness). Having said that I have come to appreciate Syrah when they are done well (see previous review of Spring Valley Vineyards) this just isn't a good Syrah. No more need be said.. if you have this in the cellar make it the night cap and hope you (or your guests) don't notice...