• odd. fairly big, wasn't as elegant as the other vineyards , a bit too syrupy. But not unapproachable

• One of the best zins out there. Power & grace makes this an all around great wine.

• outstanding. His best effort of late.

• Ok, I confess, California Zins have fell out of favor for me. In my somewhat limited exposure, I find them over bearing in being too sweet, too acidic, too alcoholic or any combination of the three. In short, a bad experience. In all instances, it never was an experience from this producer. In the mood for a good zin, I dare not stray from the farm as it were, and selected this 06. Again, this winemaker stays true to form by elevating this varietal for what it is, no more no less. He continues to portray this grape as a more elegant wine or should I say, extract the most from this varietal. Tannins are virtually nonexistent, subtle nuance emerge reminiscient of chocolate, tobacco and cherry. But neither over powers with either alcohol or sugars. If you feel the same way as I about zins, stick a case in your cellar and venture to it at your leisure. Oh, and it should evolve over the next few years. I'm going to try the remainder tomorrow to see if it holds true to form.

• By Josh Raynolds
    May/June 2009, IWC Issue #144, (See more on Vinous...)

(Saxon Brown Zinfandel One Oak Vineyard Sonoma Valley) Subscribe to see review text.