1. Wink

Wink

• Not even ten months since my last bottle, and the forward fruit that this wine featured in the past has receded considerably. This is now awkward, with the fruit in retreat and the tannins showing very dry. The 15.5% alcohol is also noticeable. I suspect that this wine's best days are in the past, rather than it being in some awkward, funky period from which a mature and complex and better wine will emerge. Back in NYC after Scotland.

• Found this in my cellar. I had not been entered in CellarTracker. It must have been a gift, but I can't remember from whom or when it was received. Clear dark garnet. Nose of leather, cherry, plum, and a hint of anise. Ripe, fruit-forward palate of black cherry, plum, and prune. Good length. Pleasant acidity. Minimal tannins. No discernable oak. Overall, this was a simple, quaffable CdP, not structured for aging.

• In line with past bottles, there's a huge blast of pure fruit on the attack, ripe red to black fruit, huge framboise palate. But I also know from past bottles that this shows a lot of alcohol, and so I chilled it a bit, which really helped. I love the fruit on the palate, it's so lush but balanced and contained. I would drink this in the short to mid term, to capture this fruit before it thins out.

• About nine months since my last bottle. Oliver needed more wine after polishing off the 2002 Huet Le Mont and 2005 Chandon de Briailles S-l-B Les Lavières, so I opened this. There is a wealth of fruit right after uncorking, dark Grenache fruit of red cherries and berries, and, just as with prior bottles, a lot of alcohol. This would benefit from a few degrees of chill, if it would hinder the alcohol somewhat. Alcohol aside, the fruit is really attractive here.

• Followed this wine over three nights. At first, the alcohol is much too prominent, and I have noted this in past tastings of this wine. The wine comes across as sharp and I didn't really enjoy it until the third night. No degradation nor oxidation over the three nights, and it takes that long for this wine to come into balance and for the alcohol to, surprisingly, take a back seat. I much prefer the 2005 vintage than this 2006. I'm a big fan of this producer, but not so much this particular wine. No idea how this will age. Does alcohol integrate? If it took three nights for this wine to come into balance, and there was no degradation over those three nights, perhaps this wine needs years further in the cellar. On the other hand, as the fruit wanes, will the alcohol become even more prominent?

The Rhone Report

• By Josh Raynolds
    January/February 2009, IWC Issue #142, (See more on Vinous...)

(Domaine de la Charbonniere Chateauneuf du Pape Cuvee Mourre des Perdrix) Subscribe to see review text.
  • By Josh Raynolds
    January/February 2008, IWC Issue #136, (See more on Vinous...)

NOTE: Some content is property of The Rhone Report and Vinous.