1. lek55

lek55

2. Sternmat

Sternmat

• Beaucoup trop boisé à mon goût.

• Solid chardonnay drinking well now. Light, with good body and balance.

• P&P. Pretty golden color in the glass. Youthful nose of tropicals overlaying a nice base of vanilla. Great texture, good structure and nice acidity to fruit ratio. Mouth is creamy but not overtly so - with some minerality along with tropicals. A very nice wine at a good price point. Drink.

• Golden color. Vanilla Creme. Smooth and wonderful. If I can find this for $27 I am buying a case!

• Its Friday. Time to open one of the big boys....I think my rating reflects more the power and intensity of this wine as opposed to the drinking enjoyment of it actually. It is certainly BIG. Vanilla, oak, spice, fruit, smoke on the nose. Oily, thick, coating on the palate. Well balanced, mouth filling, long finish - whats not to love? Well for starters, its heavy and a bit ponderous, doesn't pair well with food, so thick you have to chew it, and afterwards scrape the finish off your tongue. It takes itself way too seriously. Its like "if you like this let me give it to you times 6!" I once drank straight concentrated orange juice right out of the little can it comes in. Did it taste like orange juice ? YOU BET IT DID. Was it as nice to drink as after you added a few cans of cold water? NO! I guess that ultimately that's my problem with this wine. For those of you out there who drink concentrated orange juice straight from the can this Paul Hobbs is for you. For the rest of us, save your bucks and keep looking. Sorry Paul but sometimes a little restrain goes a long long way. To all of you who found the acids nice and zingy, all I can say is that I must have been drinking a waaay different wine. Sure, there were a few little tiny acid elements left hiding under the alcohol, oak and over ripe fruit (note : alcohol level for this wine was 14.7%! In case you missed that : 14.7%!! What gives? This is supposed to be Russian River, the cooler part of Sonoma, not Na 15% pa, not Carn 14.6% eros, etc etc). Perhaps the sad truth is that I just cellared it to long. Yes, at 5 years its "over the top", starting to fall apart, on it decline, going down hill, seen better days. OK. If you buy that please contact me - I have a very attractive bridge that runs between Manhattan and Brooklyn that I would be interested in selling you - or I can arrange an equally attractive sale lease back arrangement that might provide slightly better cash flow if you want to talk.......

• By Josh Raynolds
    May/June 2008, IWC Issue #138, (See more on Vinous...)

(Paul Hobbs Winery Chardonnay Russian River Valley) Subscribe to see review text.