1. rjquillin

2. jeffal66

jeffal66

3. ChipGreen

ChipGreen

• Dark ruby. Moist cedar and dirty raspberry nose. Medium bodied, strawberries, cranberries, lots of pepper, rustic tannins, oak spice, and a dry, somewhat sweet medium length finish. Way better on night 2; I'd say this has a lot of time left (3 years?).

• Consistent with, and little change from, earlier notes. Opened for T-day and showed well among the PN, CS, Riesling and Rosé it shared table space with. Seems as versatile as a quality Amador Barbera. Drink now or hold for a few.

• I wanted this bottle to show some age but it didn't look or taste 10 years old. Very good deal under $9 and there's still plenty of life in the bottle.

• PnP @ too cold 6.5C fridge temp; nothing but visuals.

While still clear, there is a greater color variation in the rim; the garnet isn't as pronounced and there is a touch of browning. This seems to be putting on a bit more age, but zero sediment.

Warming to a nicer 12C and this is still reminding me of my earlier TN. Still a bit of barnyard funk on the nose. The fruit is diminished, but at first reminded me a bit of cola. Acid is still there, not in an Italian way, but in a I-like-food way; and it's gonna get some read meat this evening.
    The finish is still a touch resinous but it's lacking any of the bitterness I noted earlier.

Check back for the post meal addenda.

I still like this, and if you at all like old world with a bit of age, at $8.55 delivered this is drinking above it's price.

• From 2013-04-23

May be later tomorrow, but I'll see if I can find another bottle to pull a cork on.

Pavi 2005 Dolcetto, Napa Valley

This will be a bit sketchy, as this is a new varietal for me so I had no idea what to expect. My reading on this suggested it is a light fruity wine, normally consumed young, within three years of vintage, clearly this 2005 is well beyond that and is heavier in body, displaying some age in it's profile while retaining some fruitiness.

Appearance; Clear medium garnet, quickly forming long thin legs.
    Aroma; moderate intensity, a bit of barnyard dissipating after ~30 minutes or so resolving to cassis, aged fruit, stewed fruit, a bit of nuttiness and some alcohol as it warms.
    Taste; bone dry with medium body, fruity entry, a bit of an edge mid palate, adequate acid to balance the fruit. There is a pleasant woody resinous note to the finish, not clearly cedar or oak, nor really tannic. Perhaps a touch of bitter almond, not objectionably so, in the medium finish.

This is a pleasant wine that did much better with my bread, tapenade, cheese plate and pizza of last night than the CB&C of this evening. Better as it warmed from 55F to 65F, but fading at 70F. Being eight years past vintage, this seems to defy the 'drink young' tradition of Italian Dolcetto; perhaps because it's a heavier CA style. I tend to prefer aged wine to those fresh out of the barrel, so after the initial funk dissipated, this was an enjoyable bottle and I still have enough to see how it evolves over another day or so. Didn't get the opportunity to pass this one around like I generally do; shared only with two Japanese (Moscato) females and certainly not sweet-tooth SWMBO approved. Would seriously consider if in the < $15 range.