Vintage Tastings

Nomadness, 4/30/2012 98 points

(Guigal Cote Rotie La Mouline) We ended with Guigals, and the first should have been last, being it a 1966 Guigal Cote Rotie La Mouline. This was the fifth or sixth time I have been blessed to have this wine, the first vintage of this heralded vineyard. Its nose was deep and great, super sexy with its musk, violet, bacon and menthol quadrafecta. The meat and oil defined its nose the most, and its palate was delicious, make that spectacular. Rich, saucy and decadent, this rivaled the La Tache as wine of the night (98).
    A Christmas Tale: The Emperor Needs No Clothes, 12/25/2011 99 points

(Guigal Cote Rotie La Mouline) It is rare for a Rhone wine to upstage Bordeaux and Burgundy legends like ’45 HB and ’71/78 Roumiers and so forth, but the 1966 Guigal Cote Rotie La Mouline did just that. It had a ‘wow’ nose, full of white pepper and sexy supporting singers named violet, bacon and beef. One commented, ‘this is perfect; no flaws.’ It was incredibly tasty, adding lavender to its previous violet and bacon, and its flesh and length were superb. There was great kink to its finish, and its flavor was as good as the Rhone gets. In fact, the 1966 La Mouline, its first vintage, might be the greatest wine ever made in the Rhone. Consistent notes (99).
    Bad Boy Birthday Bash, 7/16/2009 96 points

(Guigal Cote Rotie La Mouline) The 1966 Guigal Cote Rotie La Mouline was full of violets and purple fruits along with light pepper. Rich, long and creamy, it still had acidity and length. Its pepper turned more to shades of white in the mouth, and the first vintage of La Mouline again proved to be timeless and extraordinary
    Mayday, 5/4/2009 DQ points

(La Mouline) Unfortunately, there were three oxidized bottles, just one of those nights. A ’66 Cristal, ’59 Vogue Bonnes Mares, and ’66 La Mouline were all (DQ). There were no tears shed, though, as it happens, and those that drink enough old wine know that the only thing to do is move on and remember how much the good ones make up for the occasional bad ones. The color on the Cristal was a bit dark, so we suspected that might have issues, and it did. The Vogue was about as good a fill as one could hope for at that age, and although the color was a bit light, there was still a good ruby core. The craziest thing was that the La Mouline came from a batch of six bottles, two of which we had already had that were both extraordinary, 99-point wines. Even wines from the same case or batch can be completely different! If these kind of experiences make you lose sleep or want to sue people, I suggest you stick to drinking wines ten years and younger. Wine is supposed to be fun, right?
    Big Boy Does Los Angeles, 4/12/2008 96-97 points

(La Moulines) There was another flight that was supposed to be opened earlier, but we fell off course. However, the bottles had already been opened, so we had to drink them, right? The wines were a 1952 Monfortino and 1966 and 1969 La Moulines. These are all 98 or 99 point wines and probably Italy’s and the Rhone’s greatest wines…EVER, but after the DRC’s, they all lost a couple points and were down to 96-97 point territory. The DRC actually lowered their scores! They probably would have lowered some of the other wines’ scores from before, too, if we had them after the DRCs. Allen emailed me the next morning, ‘What amazed me was how the ’66 La Mouline was just lost after that foursome, which is as we both know, for as great as the ’66 La Mouline is, really saying something.’
    Big Boy Does Los Angeles, 4/12/2008 96-97 points

Happy Birthday Eddie, 7/2/2007 96 points

(Guigal Cote Rotie La Mouline) Bottles again appeared for a duo of Guigals, the first being a legendary needle in the haystack, a 1966 Guigal Cote Rotie La Mouline. The notes were getting more and more illegible, but I still managed to observe superb cedary dust, minerals, chocolate and earth. The bottle was a little shook up and the wine murky accordingly, but there was still olive, game, menthol and bacon to this delicious and decadent bottle of La Mouline. I have had better bottles, but this one was still superb
    Top 100 Weekend, Year III, 1/3/2007 98+ points

(Guigal Cote Rotie 'La Mouline') was the grand finale to this grand flight, and again I have given this wine 99 points before and while it was spectacular as well, I rated it a step behind near perfection…as if it makes a difference when the air is that rare! Silky and gorgeous, this was Rhone Pomerol, absolutely breathtaking; hence my short notes (98+). Actually, it was because I was getting close to ‘Hammeredtime.’ I am sure many of you know the drill
    Top 100 Weekend Teaser, 11/13/2005 99 points

(Guigal Cote Rotie 'La Mouline) its first vintage. I think it was Robert who gave us some musical perspective, noting that 1966 was the year that The Beatles released 'Revolver' and 'Rubber Sole,' and that it was also pre Jimi Hendrix or Cream. Rob called it 'like a Rhone Pomerol,' and it did have a rich and amazing nose that was still so La Mouline. Its violet, pepper, bacon, deep purple and earth aromas all added up to La Mouline's signature style, and even though this was the first vintage and almost 30 years old, this bottle was incredibly fresh and vibrant, fresher than many other younger vintages that I have had. I couldn't take my nose away from this wine for about five minutes as I kept digging and digging into its layers of aromas. The wine was everything it should have been, still young, and stylish like Park Avenue apartments. The acidity and length were tremendous, and Allen even called it 'insane'

NOTE: Some content is property of Vintage Tastings.