1. RajivAyyangar

RajivAyyangar

2. DoubleMagnum

DoubleMagnum

Community Tasting Notes (23) Median Score: 88 points

• For stamina. This wine has been impeccably well stored since acquisition upon release. Never seen a temp above 58 and for thirty of those years never above 53. Plenty rich but a pervasive iodine note if you will. 24 hours later of sitting on the sideboard, still very much alive and well. Remarkable.

• LM Birthday wines at the Palace, SF (The Palace Steakhouse, SF): First time I’ve encountered Bdx of this age - many thanks to LM for sharing this special bottle!

In the glass, medium garnet (I didn’t get a good read on the bricking in the light). On the nose, my initial impression was of acetaldehyde, lean sharp green pyrazine (St. Julien, vineyards are 72% cab, 20% merlot, 8% cab franc), undertone of brett, and a glimmer of savory, distant fruit. Over time it opened up, but seemed fleeting. I needed to listen carefully and use some imagination to reconstruct it, but it had so many interesting things to say. I wish I were alone with it in a quiet well-lit room, free of other distractions.

On the palate my first impression was one of austerity and leanness. At first (and especially after the young Vermentino blend), I thought “This is like slightly bretty, oxidative, tart, tannic water". But then I seemed to get past the initial front and found it polished, refined, and expressive - intriguing and beguiling, even. I was struck by the many tertiary aromas that presented themselves, slippery and enmeshed. I definitely felt a lack of context to really understand this, but it was easy to be drawn in. TS Eliot’s quip about great art being easy to recognize, difficult to understand comes to mind.

No score, as I have no previous context. I’ve been curious about older Bdx for a long time - it was awesome to be able to taste this.

• Smelled like a Barbie doll and cardboard :(

• Used Wine Gas system for a glass on 8/22/14

• After the '66 Croizet-Bages, this seemed a bit thin and tired. It is drinkable and still enjoyable but it is definitely passed its peak.