• This will never evolve into a world class wine, never much more than a noteworthy wine for that matter but as I sit here with a glassful of the 2001 Simi merlot from the Alexander Valley, listening to Miles, I really couldn't ask for much more. The most interesting aspect of this merlot is the nose which displays plenty of anise and a bit of cedar, mint, and earth.The wine is full of red fruits that include cranberries and bright raspberries. As I take a few more sips I notice that the tannins do dry out the finish quite a bit which I tink is the one real flaw in this wine. I'm looking for a bit more extraction and glyren to fill this wine out but its still a good wine. If you have any of this I would recommend drinking it now because all it's going to do is continue to dry out.

• Nice round merlot with supple tannins and clean finish. Considering this was 5 years old it was in good condition, with good plum flavor and balanced acidity.

• a bit of oak, a bit of the merlot muddiness in the middle but I guess that’s that makes it merlot

• floral and plum nose; blueberry, currant, cinnamon; smooth, fruity; nice finish