1. btock

2. rpenn77

rpenn77

3. jasonkle

jasonkle

• I have not had much luck with this wine with my last 2-3 bottles.
    This wine shows a nice, med gold color, fading gently to a colorless rim.
    The nose is clean, but immediately shows off a bit of alcohol / heat. There is also a nice butterscotch aroma, with additional notes of peach, moss, and wet gravel.
    On the palate, the wine is med+ bodied, with med level, tangy acidity evident. Flavors include stone fruits, especially peach and apricot, with butterscotch candy and a smokiness, leading into the med+ length, tasty finish.
    This wine is considerably better than my last few bottles, thankfully. Drinking well now, but I would say that it needs to be consumed in the next 1-2 years.

• An excellent showing. High toned, delicate citrus. Pale coloring, still fresh. Best pairing of the night was this with a chestnut and brioche soup. The brioche led to a buttered toast match on the midpalate. Really fun. Haven't bought Kistler in a while but this bottle reminded me of why I used to! Classy stuff. Ready now, but not in decline.

• Great wine but on the verge so drink up...

• This bottle is spot on - nice to see given the variability that I have experienced with this vintage of Kistler wines. Very rich, reminds me of what a well aged grand cru chablis can taste like with enough acidity and minerality to provide overall balance.

• Served to my wine friends, out of the refrigerator.
    Oak comes across heavily on the nose and palate. One would think it would be better integrated after 8 years? This is a heavy California style, seems very manipulated and extracted. Certainly not in my style preference these days. I have 2 more bottles, and my notes consistently show a pattern that this wine is on the decline. Drink up ASAP.
    Came back to this after 2 days in the fridge, it came across corked, in a very predominant way. So hopefully my other 2 bottles do not suffer this same fate.

• By Josh Raynolds
    May/June 2009, IWC Issue #144, (See more on Vinous...)

(Kistler Vineyards Chardonnay Kistler Vineyard Sonoma Coast) Subscribe to see review text.