1. Geaux

2. Randalllisa

3. DTWOB

• Much better than bottle 1. Dark purple, thick and chewy. Tannins fully integrated and subsided. Perfect hints of oak and red, blue and black fruit on the nose with some perfume. Palate was blue and red fruit with acid at near ideal levels. Some oak, but in harmony with fruit.

• Pencil shavings, cedar box, mocha and chocolate dominated on the nose and palate with a medium finish. Expected a lot more fruit from a Coombsville wine. On the downward part of the curve, drink me if you got em.

• Last of three bottles. In addition, I had a vertical of Buccella from this, their first release (2002) to the latest release, 2011. But then, wine was meant to drink, so my wife and I shared the bottle to celebrate our son's 40th and my 65th birthdays. This wine has aged very well and has not really changed that much since my first tasting of the wine eight years ago. The nose and fruit is clean, distinctive and pronounced. The tannins and acidity have softened slightly. The backbone and overall structure is fantastic. I would dare say this wine will keep another 30 years! So, the 2003 and the rest of my remaining vertical is very safe. I keep my Buccella wines in a single, undercounter style, 36 bottle capacity wine cooler set at 59F in a corner of my basement.

• The wife always wants Buccella on her Bday. Cork snapped in half upon opening - got nervous, but wine was perfect. Decanted 4 hours, re-bottled and took to restaurant. Teeth staining, almost black in the glass and thick. Currant, blackberry, cassis, blueberry and some licorice. 90 second finish. The perfect compliment to our perfectly cooked steaks. This wine has several good years left - but why wait when it is drinking so good right now. Not going to get any better. Sadly, my last of the '02.

• Love Buccella. This wine is full throttle on all fronts - starting with the 10 pound bottle, which leads to a pour that reveals black lushness in the glass, to the nose that is intoxicating to me like a pheromone is to an insect in the Spring, on finally to that big, thick mouthfeel that coats your entire palate and lasts for 45 to 60 seconds. Such a slutty wine. I can't resist. I want more...

• By Richard Jennings
    8/22/2005, (See more on 94 points

(Buccella Cabernet Sauvignon) Rich, concentrated, tasty, black fruit, plum palate with integrated oak; medium-plus finish

NOTE: Some content is property of Vinous and