1. ivar

ivar

2. Eric Guido

Eric Guido

• Called the tasting room at Seven of Hearts to arrange for the delivery of the Curmudgeon Cuvee and got to talking with Nat Herring about Oregon pinot. This led to that and I punched up my Oregon pinot list on CT. He said the 2007 Loring Shea should be great, so I decided to open one when I got home.

Your can't say popped and poured with Loring, so we'll say twisted and decanted and poured. This is not the dreaded 89, it is the not quite a wow wine but very close. Bought direct a few years ago when they offered a special on the 2007s. The cap had a slight dent in it but the seal seemed fine. Color had deepened and mellowed. Not brown by any means but maybe one part earth to 100 parts red grape color. Taste was a bit tight at first and could have used an hour of air as I followed it for two hours. This was deep dark meaty red fruit with excellent depth. There was an earthy component to go with the deep flavor, but nothing like, let's say, a Cordier Bordeaux corral floor or even a Piedmonte forest floor. Just a bit in the background to add to the flavor profile. Overall an excellent wine, and note that Pinot is not at the top of my favorites list, so others would rate it even higher. A note about the alcohol. The label says ABV is 14.2%. I did not taste any heat on the palate but it seemed to hit me between the ears more than normal. So it was very good balance for that level of ABV.

• Was a bit harsh the first night, so I put a cork and saved it for night 2. Much better now. Deep magenta color. Getting oak on the nose, with some clove, cherry and maybe cinnamon? Med-full bodied wine. Black cherry really started to come through (along with some earth) as this evolved. A bit of spice on the finish, which I wasn't expecting. Very nice wine right now.

• Bright cherry & raspberry fruit, balanced with a pretty good oak punch. A slight hint of bitterness, not objectionable, just a little quirky.

4/23/13. Didn't feel like the oak was balanced this time. Noted a very thin finish. Would have given an 86 this time.

• After two hours in the bottle. Dark ruby color. Aromas of cherry cola and spice. Flavors of sweet/sour/bitter raspberry with some earth, cola and clove. Nice body with lengthy finish.

• Our notes are similar to nearly 2 years ago (2/7/2010), although the fruit has subsided and mushroom flavors are now showing. We like its evolution.

PinotReport

NOTE: Some content is property of PinotReport.