1. Federsin

2. winestem

winestem

3. TheGym

TheGym

• Massive wine but really don't sense the alcohol. Deep dark color; no light getting through. Nose is pretty shy with ripe, dark fruits showing over coffee aromas. Taste wise is pretty true PS with ripe black fruits and ample tannins. (Hopefully) saying goodbye to winter with this. Onto spring wines tomorrow.

• I opened this about four hours before dinner. Had some issues with the cork and a few small pieces feel in. Don't know if this impacted the bottle much, but this wasn't its night. The darkest of the wines, but not nearly as big as what I've come to expect from SBR PS...the 2005 still my "gold standard."

• Dinner in Nashville (Burger Up - Franklin, TN): This had received a number of hours of air before dinner. Despite the warnings of my fellow diners about its size, I didn't think was the big bruiser it was supposed to be. I thought the nearly 17% alcohol was an unnecessary distraction and turned this into a grapey cocktail - not my style of wine.

• This wine is a beast! Raisiny motor oil. I don't prefer this style as I don't prefer many of the monster Aussies as the juice comes off as TOO ripe and raisiny. I could live with plums even but not raisins. The nose is straight up blackberry preserves with a solid hit of oak. A big whiff of Nyquil follows. Good for colds.....bad for everyday consumption. The tannins are ultra drying and the alcohol is not as noticeable as I would have imagined. The fruit....well....you get it by now. But, with all that said, I have hope that this may one day turn into something decent once the tannins resolve and the fruit mellows. Can raisins one day become something yet interesting? I'd say if you happen to own this, hold, hold.....HOLD for at LEAST another 10yrs if not twenty and hope for the best. At mailer cost of $62 all in.....borderline "PLAYER" but definitely not a "WINNER".

• I usually find petite sirah's too big for me, but this wine pleasantly surprised me, decanted for a couple of hours, bluish purple in the glass, big and rich dark fruits and jam, but surprisingly not at all heavy, I did not get the heat others have noticed

• By Stephen Tanzer
    May/June 2009, IWC Issue #144, (See more on Vinous...)

(Switchback Ridge Petite Sirah Peterson Family Vineyard Napa Valley) Subscribe to see review text.

RJonWine.com

• By Richard Jennings
    2/20/2010, (See more on RJonWine.com...) 90 points

(Switchback Ridge Petite Sirah Peterson Family Vineyard) Opaque purple violet color; grapey, primary, green herb, blackberry nose; tight, black plum, tar, lavender, anise palate, a little hot; long finish 90+ pts. (16.4% alcohol)

Sommelier Journal

• By Benjamin T. Weinberg
    March 2009, (See more on Sommelier Journal...)

(Switchback Ridge Petite Sirah Peterson Family Vineyard) Gobs of wild-berry jam blend with chewy tannins and a hint of spice and meat juice. It’s so dense that if you can keep your hands off, it may last forever.
    Winery Spotlight: Robert Foley Vineyards

NOTE: Some content is property of Vinous and RJonWine.com and Sommelier Journal.