1. S R U D I N

S R U D I N

• corked :-(

• Bold and beautiful Washington State Cab, they're really making a run for the Napa crown. Fruit forward rich nose and a nice thick velvety texture coupled with a 40+ second finish makes this one a winner. I WANT MORE!!!

• Meat juice, cherries, tobacco, pepper, and red currant. Smooth mouthfeel with a medium finish. Perfect with ribeye.

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes - No / Comments (3)

• Blind CA Cult Cab Tasting (Snohomish, WA): Tasted blind (sort of). (Group's #1 (my #2)) – 6 first place votes, 5 second place votes, 1 third place vote – The nose had very briny aromas and all the usual suspects in the Cayuse funk. This was easily identified not only as a ringer, but as a Cayuse Widowmaker. If the bottle doesn't give it away (super big and heavy), surely the nose or at least the palate will. As this was the last wine in the last flight of the tasting, there was definitely some palate fatigue beginning to creep in around the room. I think that having this Cayuse in the last flight made some of the other wines seem simpler and far less complex than they actually were. While I recognize that this is a well made wine, it's hard for me to drink very much of it, especially at the end of a big CA Cabernet tasting. I did call this #2 in the group voting, but after more thought, I think that I probably should have scored this lower and ranked the TOR higher than I did. I love the Cayuse funk in Syrahs, but I think that I really want to enjoy a much cleaner Cabernet than the Widowmaker style. I've enjoyed prior vintages of the Widowmaker like the 02 & 04 where the funk isn't the dominant aroma/flavor, or it's even just absent.

• Sat in the decanter for about 1.5 hours. As I popped the pacifier off this baby to decant, a wave of aromas fulled the room. A piece of toast scrubbed on the inside of a Traeger BBQ, topped with briny olve tapenade and cherry preserves, then drizzled with blackberry brandy came to mind. The cherries and blackberries were still on the nose as we sat down with some lamb chops as well as some smoky plums, vanilla, and saline. More salted cherries and blackberries on the palate as well as cassis, tobacco, and lightly peppered meat. After some swirling and more air, pencil lead came to the front with the tannins biting on the medium plus finish. A nice pairing with the lamb. My only complaint was an awkward hole in the mid which may come together with time. Give this time or lots of air.

• By Stephen Tanzer
    November/December 2010, IWC Issue #153, (See more on Vinous...)

(Cayuse Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon The Widowmaker En Chamberlin Vineyard Walla Walla Valley) Subscribe to see review text.