1. yipen

2. jchua123

jchua123

3. Luis N

Luis N

• I have not found this wine to give much pleasure. I like classic Medocs but this is stern and harsh. Plenty of structure but not enough fruit. Rather thin in the mouth. I have another case and I will be very surprised if this opens up much.

• Tasted completely blind and my tasting notes support the extreme drinking window in CT. A very firm and still locked bouquet with red and black berry fruits. On the palate bell pepper, harsh cherries, cassis, red fruits, some dark fruits as well, firm acidity and a lot of sticky tannin. A very classical wine which still needs a lot of time. Most of the tasters did not like the wine and to be honest, I can understand them. The wine is not much fun yet. In 10 years from now (so around 2024) the wine will probably be much more approachable and friendly. Of course I am not sure, but I really hope that between 2024 and 2030+ everything will fall into place and the wine will show elegance and finesse. For the pleasure of today 89 is already a high score, but I hope from 2024 onwards it will be 92 plus.

• TN: Calon Segur vertical (Ripple Restaurant in DC): A classic claret, red fruits, red cassis, cedar, a hint of green and mineral. Slightly less than medium concentration, silky, soft, precise and nicely integrated tannins. Still quite youthful but drinking very well. Still not showing much tertiary but ready to go. Some noticeable tannins at the end. Although this is drinking incredibly well and very 2001, I don’t quite find anything too special, a nicely aged average classified growth.

• 16 vintages of Calon Segur (Ripple Restaurant in Washington D.C.): Here a solid example of a Medoc 2001 that provides structure and tannin for the longer haul. While opening 2001s and 2002s before the dinner, I was surprised by the air that 2001 needed. This wine obtained the most votes for wine to be consumed in 10 years. I would agree. The 2009 and 2010 need 20.

• Ready and at peak. Blanced with freash berry note, long finish. Turly enjoyable

View From the Cellar

JancisRobinson.com

NOTE: Some content is property of View From the Cellar and JancisRobinson.com and Vinous.