1. Mathijs81

Mathijs81

2. wtianseter

wtianseter

• Very light, acidity still bright, subdued tertiary aromas, fruit had faded but enough to keep it interesting, showed its pedigree, very enjoyable, bought for €260 3 months ago.

• My good friend and wine collector decided to open his last bottle of Lafite 1973 for his birthday.

As I'm a sucker for old wines, and it being my first Lafite ever, I had high hopes.
    And yes, I was quite pleased that a bottle of that age could still bring a smile to my face.

Initially a bit dull on the nose, but it grew over the course of 1/2 Hrs.
    Taste was very good, just what I expected for a wine of that age.

A lovely bottle of wine, great evening and company, that's what its all about !

• This wine has been in my cellar since 1980. We cracked it for my daughter's 40th BD. The wine had a few years of less than optimum cellaring. For sure the bttle was past its prime but still had some very nice features.
    The color was a light auburn red with thick edges. Nose was of roses and a light cork funk (not TCA!) The cork was destroyed by inseting a stewards cork screw so it was filtered and decanted immediately. The wine had a beautiful floral character and light tongue. The fruit was medium intensity and mostly a strawberry-cherry note. The finish was delicate and had very light dry tannin.

• Light 'tuile' colour. Underwood, autumn, medicine chest, minerals and iron tones in the nose. Beautifully fragile elegance and long lingering. Guessed it correct as 1970-s, and thought about 1970 or 1975. 1973 didn't even cross my mind. But this is a beautiful and elegant wine.

• Light but lively colour; old nose but fragrant and vital, cedar, tobacco, floral note, hint of fruit; relatively dry and light, feminine, very elegant owing to its exalted terroir, juicy raspberry, lovely hint of sweetness, harmonious, very well integrated acidity, good length. A very lovely wine.

JancisRobinson.com

NOTE: Some content is property of JancisRobinson.com.