1. pmarlo

2. RickyB

RickyB

3. Wine Poor

Wine Poor

• Solid pull on cork, very dense yet the additional age has rounded this wine. There is a greater balance between the fruit and tannins, with other denser elements emerging. This may seem odd, but it felt thick without really being thick or mouth coating. This time around, wine was more about meat and earth and secondary flavors.I think Carlisle along with Tensley may be some of the better mid level Syrahs being produced today. I think this wine was just about in a perfect place tonight and could probably hold onto this level for 2-3 years more. Recommended.

• Decanted 2 hrs. Really nice and classic California Syrah Nose, full of dark blackberry paired with roasted veggies and a slight note of wood. Very fresh. This wine has integrated nicely, very well balanced and tasty. I had high expectations for this, and for the most part it delivered, though I would drink up if you have them.

• Much better after two hours air. On opening, hot and alcoholic and weirdly tart. Later, lusciously dark and tarry and deeply masculine though with California syrah fruit forwardness. One of the more impressive Cali syrah I have enjoyed.

• First night, I might have given it a 87 - good certainly, deep dark fruits showing but a bit muted, with little complexity or really much of anything after the initial attack.

But now that I'm getting back to the rest of the bottle, 2 days later, it's much more impressive. Dark berry fruits now showing some rich jamminess all the way through, with some secondary notes developing.

From previous CT notes I was afraid this was past peak; now I'm wondering if it just needs a few more years to really come alive? If your bottles are like mine - I'm suggesting a few hours of air (or more) if you pop one today ...

• Syrah is not my favorite varietal, but this really floats the boat. I love Carlisle wines in general, but gravitate to the Zins more often than not. Maybe it is just the right amount of age on this one. It is outstanding round full bodied bruiser, wish I had more. I guess I will wait 7 years on all the Papa Block Syrahs.

• By Josh Raynolds
    May/June 2009, IWC Issue #144, (See more on Vinous...)

(Carlisle Winery Syrah Papa's Block Russian River Valley) Subscribe to see review text.

The Rhone Report

NOTE: Some content is property of Vinous and The Rhone Report.