1. photo

amateurwino

2. Screameagle

Screameagle

• Rhys Tasting With The Gang (My House): Tasted alongside the 2008 Skyline, and for kicks and giggles, the 2007 D'Angerville Champans that I had pulled from the cellar on the fly to join the flight. This 2007 Skyline is dark, intense and tannic with a peppery, stemmy aromatic. And to think this was opened the night before last....shows the structure that is here. Juicy raspberry and strawberry fruit. And an interesting note, one I have not previously cited for pinot, there was a tasting marker here that reminded me of the red berry intensity of a really fine shot of espresso. Not the coffee aspect but the deep, roasted berry signature that infuses a good shot. Really caught my attention.

• In a flight with 2007 Swan Terrace and Family Farm, I thought the Skyline was showing best in this flight, and by a country mile at that. Although Rhys owner Kevin Harvey has at times analogized Swan Terrace to Chambolle, on this night it’s Skyline that fits the bill in my estimation, showing charming lightness and delicacy on the floral nose and palate, with the slightly tart plummy fruit and acidity bringing me much pleasure. With air, an exotic spice component emerges in the nose, so although I liken this wine first to Chambolle or Volnay first based on body and texture, I wouldn’t quibble with a comparison to Vosne based on the spice. Easily my wine of the night, 94-95 points; I’m not yet allocated Skyline, but will buy all I can when given the chance.

• A beautiful Pinot that has lots of upside for sure. Wonderful acidity and already showing some complexity. I loved it.

• Extraordinary nose that's pulled back to earth a bit by the sharp mouth. The length is good, though, with a lot of dusty fruity notes that include nice structure.

Even so, I found this a hard wine to like in the end. The overwhelmingly harsh mouth did it in.

• I have to say, the Rhys Skyline wines are my favorites in the Rhys lineup. This wine has striking minerality, depth of fruit, refreshing sappiness, a lipsmacking finish, and a certain spice and autumnal quality. Maybe it's just that I worked up on Skyline Boulevard for 7 years (King's Mountain feels like a second home to me), but this wine is simply unique an unlike any other CA Pinot I have ever had. While I personally don't have the patience to let these rest for 20 years, I can imagine that in 2027, this wine will be drinking otherworldly. Unfortunately, this was my last bottle, but I am grateful I got to drink as much of this as I did. If you can get your hands on this wine, don't hesitate for even a second. This one is special.

View From the Cellar

Burghound

• By Josh Raynolds
    May/June 2009, IWC Issue #144, (See more on Vinous...)

(Rhys Vineyards Pinot Noir Skyline Vineyard Santa Cruz Mountains) Subscribe to see review text.

RJonWine.com

• By Richard Jennings
    3/10/2009, (See more on RJonWine.com...) 94 points

(Rhys Pinot Noir Skyline Vineyard) Dark cherry red color; big, tart cherry, rosehips, roses nose; tasty, tart cherry, sour cream, mineral, spice, baked cherry, rosehips and roses palate, very Burgundian; medium-plus finish

NOTE: Some content is property of View From the Cellar and Burghound and Vinous and RJonWine.com.