• Rhys Tasting With The Gang (My House): Tasted alongside the 2007 Family Farm. The Home is more burly in tone than the FF, and to me the Home shows better depth. My notes say "darker' and I believe that was reference to the fruit profile, as the fruit here was more roasted cherry and a hard candy note.

• Very good. I brought this to an Easter Sunday lunch because I thought it would go well with the food. As always, this Rhys seemed atypical of what I have come to associate with California Pinot over the last few years. Very deep red and almost purple in color, this wine is nevertheless lithe and laced with minerality, yet it is also ripe and full of cherry fruit and underbrush. It had nice complexity and stayed interesting for the several hours we consumed it over. Most gratifyingly, the hosts of the lunch who are dear friends of ours, LOVED this Rhys and the other Rhys wines I have shared with them over the last few years. A winner of a wine for sure.

• I know the official recommendation was to leave this vintage alone for awhile, but I've actually never had a closed-up Rhys - just some that were too young and fruity - so curiousity got the better of me. I'll admit it was probably a mistake. This isn't closed-up in the fashion of a Burgundy that's all structure no fruit, but it is fairly mute aromatically and fairly shy on the palate too. In fact it's probably the most mild and light-bodied wine I've ever had from Rhys but I don't know whether that reflects the wine itself or simply the intermediate place it's in. In the meantime you can enjoy it as something pleasantly mellow/slender/feminine/etc., but this vineyard can offer a hell of a lot of character when it's in a good place and none of that is here at the moment.

• Had this on Thanksgiving Day alongside the St. Innocent Shea, and this simply eviscerated the Shea...wiped the floor with it. Although this also shows very dark fruit, there is more focus, cut, sappiness, and plain goodness than in the Shea. It's a big Pinot, but it has character. Dark cherry and blackberry fruit, earth, pine resin and a touch of spice. Great texture and finish. I have recently seen folks compare Rhys to DRC and other standard bearers of Burgundy, but I personally think that's a bit of a reach. The wine is fantastic California Pinot though, and the best California has to offer these days in my opinion.

• Another Saturday at Knightsbridge - mostly blind (Northbrook, IL): Tasted double blind. Started with lots of red fruit but not much else. So while clearly American Pinot, it didn't show much charm beside the good fruit. Surprisingly thin for a Rhys Pinot, I'd give this plenty of time in cellar and hope it picks up weight.

Burghound

• By Josh Raynolds
    May/June 2009, IWC Issue #144, (See more on Vinous...)

(Rhys Vineyards Pinot Noir Home Vineyard San Mateo County) Subscribe to see review text.

NOTE: Some content is property of Burghound and Vinous.