1. odds

2. Eric Guido

Eric Guido

3. shapida

shapida

• EMH Black Cat Vineyard Visit (Calistoga, CA): The first one of the flight, and second time I'm having this one. I may have underestiamted it last time--cassis on the nose (more than I recall from last year) and the spices and minerals show very well. The nose is more integrated than it was last year (or simply it had harder competition last year). It could be a 'star' of its own meal. Actions speak louder than words- the lady finished the entire taste, and asked for extra. A non common move, by all means.

I hold my opinion from last year, "IMHO, it just keeps maturing" (So I am happy I have one resting in storage)

Only thing I may add is that from all four tasted on Sunday, this one had somewhat more vanilla on the nose (especially compared with the '12)

92-93

• This was on fire tonight at our Superbowl dinner. Nice nose. Some tannins, giving this is a long life. Elegant. Limited notes, but everyone at dinner really enjoyed this. WOTN vs a '07 Sea Smoke Southing and a '10 ACV Right Bank. I'll let my other bottle sleep another year or two. Nice job Merrill!

1 person found this helpful, do you? Yes - No / Comments (1)

• Dark red fruits, spice, and vanilla nose. In the mouth, Dark reds, currant, chocolate, herbs, smooth tannins, with a side of acidity. 30 second finish. Really a well balanced wine. Another few years and wowsers!

• Nice nose. A hint tannic. Smooth. Big. Round. I'll let my bottles sleep for now. FYI, if this was the only wine you were drinking at dinner, you'd enjoy it very much. I drank this '07 at an EMH verticle in NYC., where every bottle on its own, would have been a pleasure to drink.

• This was ripe with a soft texture and concentrated fruit of dark cherries and chocolate. Balanced, long finish, and enjoyable.