1. InflationHedge

2. amenenberg

amenenberg

3. Reblin

Reblin

• Stored in my cellar since purchase. I found this to be a huge fruit bomb without any real complexity. There were 5 of us and I don't believe anyone would have given this over 90 points (much less 100pts). Maybe it was just too big for our palates to pick up the nuances. Disappointed.

• Popped & poured, then drank 2nd half of bottle 3 hours later. Dense, dark wine has finally mellowed from years past tastings, ready to drink now, not sure it'll get better. Enjoy - smooth and delicious.

• Stellar bottle of wine and drinking superbly. I dont have my notes, but i i get the chance to buy again I definitely will.

• Big, bold, bracing Syrah. Very dense fruit of dark berries and licorice. This has an interesting richness here with a fairly stiff backbone considering the age. I gave this a four hour decant and was surprised it didn't open more. But at the same time, it has a core of layered density. Will it get better with time? I can't wait to find out.

• Bad ass label. Very standard deep red, but with just a hint of brown due to age. Decanted for 1 hour before beginning, drank over the following 2 hours. Nose: Mildly aromatic, fruits tend to dominate with strawberry, raspberry, and just a little cherry. There's a whiff of smoke, too. Palate: Medium weight, nicely balanced acidity and earthy flavors. Rosemary, tar, smoke, bacon fat. Fruit is definitely secondary. Very smooth, tanins are fully integrated. It definitely talks like the vineyard designate it is. Finish: Invisible tanins keep the wine on the straight and narrow, and it's the smoke that really dominates the finish, along with the tar and maybe some pencil lead. This wine has maxed itself out in the improvement department, and I like where it's sitting. It probably has another year or two before it starts its downward slope, and it may evolve a bit still, but I wouldn't sit on it any longer. Easy to imagine it changing, but hard to image for the better.

It's incredibly overpriced. Even though it's three digits, it reminds me of a poor man's Gramercy or Waters which ring up at half the price. I think a factor in the cost is that it is a true single vineyard wine. I guess if I liked Stoneridge more I wouldn't mind the price tag. I've had the range of Charles Smith/K Vintners wines, and as the more expensive the bottle gets, the less impressed I am with it. Give me the MCK or Milbrant syrahs any day.

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes - No / Comment

The Rhone Report

NOTE: Some content is property of The Rhone Report.