• I normally do not like Chilean wines. I had tasted this at a wine class about 3 years ago and bought it while it was still young. Now that I drank it, what a surprise. A very nice nose, some fruit and medium bodied it was a real pleasure. I was surprised how long it lasted on the palate and that the acidity was lower than I originally remembered. Outstanding with a nice steak!

• Deep red, maroon color, slight brown ring on the edge. Upon opening, strong earthy aromas with mushroom, not much fruit or floral on the nose. On the palate, black fruit, mushroom and pepper. Hot alchoholic finish that faded as the bottle was open for some time. Medium dry tannins on the finish.

• Bien a point, tout est bien integre, un agreable surprise...

• Every once in a while, I'll store away a relatively inexpensive, regular wine just to see if anything interesting happens to it over the years, and this was one of those bottles. Although cellaring didn't create magic, this wine definitely had a deeper and more profound palate and finish due to the emergence of secondary characteristics - chalky fruit, espresso dominant on the nose and palate.

• I gave this '91' when we had our first bottle in May of '08 and it has evolved very nicely as the tannins (still prevalent) have smoothed out and have made this an even more balanced wine than that of almost 4 years ago, my only reason for the point decline is more likely tied to my palate's evolution than the wine itself, it's typically Chilean, cedar, green characteristics but it's well made, decandent and delicous, under the proper conditions, this still has life for sure - Black, full bodied with a nose of blackfruit, plum, mocha, chocolate, mint, cedar and vanilla, nicely integrated, still quite structured, tannic, dusty, yet sweet on the palate with excellent length, outstanding (90 Points).

• By Josh Raynolds
    March/April 2008, IWC Issue #137, (See more on Vinous...)

(Casa Lapostolle Merlot Cuvee Alexandre Apalta Vineyard Colchagua Valley) Subscribe to see review text.

Wine Library TV

• By Gary Vaynerchuk
    We're bringing Merlot back. A Merlot wine tasting event!, Episode #565, 10/27/2008, (See more on Wine Library TV...) 89 points

(Casa Lapostolle Cuvee Alexandre Merlot) #2; COLOR-gorgeous; NOSE-comes across w/ a lot of chalk dust on the attack; some really dark chocolate and a little bit of green bell peppers; very green; basil; TASTE-I get some dark chocolate covered cherries; a sense of oak - a little more New Worldl; dark mocha coffee bean coming through; I like it; good balance; good tannic acidity; a hint of dark liquer; a little heat coming through; solid; a little hot & disjoint now, but will come together w/ cellaring; should drink well in 2-7 years; would decant for 3-4 hours; GV-89

NOTE: Some content is property of Vinous and Wine Library TV.