1. Cindy Day

2. Edclr

Edclr

3. Baxter1

Baxter1

• Think it was the HydeVery nice, not flabby or oxidized, if anyhting better than a year ago
    Try to age a few

• The fruit in this bottle lacked the vibrancy of prior bottles. (No rating--Possible provenance issue)

• This wine is great. I decanted the wine and placed it back in the fridge (for 20 minutes), and pulled it out 20 minutes before I started drinking it with my wife. I generally think all these Kistler Chardonnays taste better with a few years of age. I tasted a blast of minerals followed by honeysuckle and perfume. The oak influences are minimal, and I would guess that they would continue to diminish with time, and be replaced by minerals and floral characteristics.I have one more bottle of this wine and I won't drink until 2017.

• Lemongrass and honesuckle. Great minerality and acid. Smooth robust mouth feel.

• I collected Kistler Chards and Pinot's for quite a few years. I can only say that in my experience with the Chards, time is not kind to these big, big wines.
    Initially opened and consumed 3/4 of bottle. Recorked, and the TN is from 2 nights later.
    The nose is showing signs of reduction like a burnt matchstick, significantly less apparent than it was 2 nights ago. Behind that overriding and distracting aroma, I can get red apple skin, pear, and pineapple notes, with a hint of spice. Quite tropical, as I would have expected.
    The palate shows a dry wine, with high alcohol, making the wine almost have an apparent sweetness to it...but it is just the alcohol. The wine is full in body, and has some astringent tannins coming through, likely from the oak that was used during aging. These tannins were never able to fully integrate, and stick out a bit in opposition to the burly tropical fruit profile of pineapple, peach, and a hint of citrus. There is a long finish, for sure, but it feels quite manipulated and concocted, with butterscotch and marzipan.
    This is a good quality wine overall, but a wine that was probably less-noticeably out of balance when younger, and that scale is tipping to show more faults rather than integration. The wine is a bit hot, and gummy, full of glycerol and extract, and overtly oaky. I will be glad to be finished with all my Kistler Chards later this year.

• By Josh Raynolds
    May/June 2010, IWC Issue #150, (See more on Vinous...)

(Kistler Vineyards Chardonnay Hyde Vineyard Carneros) Subscribe to see review text.