1. shapida

2. tcarter

tcarter

3. jaumealaska

jaumealaska

• Drinking well but still needs at least a couple of years to reach its prime. Happy to have 3 bottles left. Needs at least a two hour decant if you want to drink it now.

• Quite good. Dark, dense plum, blackberry, fennel seeds, meat and green herbs. The herbaceous elements keep this wine from plodding too heavily. Fotr me, this is less about the nose and more a beautiful mouthfeel and finish.

Great stuff, drinking very well right now

• Ok last year I popped my 2007 and pronounced it good but wished I had cellared it longer. This year I popped the 08 again after 6 years in the cellar, yes it is still a babe. Big spice and bacon in the nose round fruit with good acid back bone and a long finish. The tannins are soft enough not to mar the mouthfeel and so why defer enjoyment. Great bottle.

• Enjoyed as always.

• My last one, and I last drank one of these over 3 years back, which would make some of the locals cry to know I let a bottle rest this long. This is a dark wine, which is what I go for when I open an SLH syrah, whether it be Mike's, Adam's or even Jeff's--when I want something less powerful, I can drink cool climate Sonoma Coast or Yorkville Highlands. As to this Rosella's, opens with purple flowers, smoke, stem garrigue, that whole complex of aromatics that come from the SLH, from Rosella's, and presumably some whole cluster. Pretty suave palate, plush and darkly fruited with creosote, tar, dark chocolate, graham cracker and charcoal. Finish remains a bit clipped, but forgive the comment as the wine will invariably change with more air. Don't find a lot of structure here so we'll see if change comes there, too. Overall, for a open and pour, pretty satisfying.....a day later, this is a dark, stuffed wine. Little heat on the nose, I suppose confirming of the fruit density and plushness here. Overnight, I feel like the wine lost some of the compleixty an oomph of yesterday and in that vein, I would offer a drink window of now through the next couple years. While there is some citrusy acidity here, it's smooth enough that I'd not put much more age on these. Overall, a dark fruited, tarry SLH syrah that is in the sweet spot now.

3 people found this helpful, do you? Yes - No / Comment

• By Josh Raynolds
    May/June 2010, IWC Issue #150, (See more on Vinous...)

(Carlisle Winery Syrah Rosella's Vineyard Santa Lucia Highlands) Subscribe to see review text.