1. Alberta66

2. ckelkar

ckelkar

3. PSPatrick

PSPatrick

• Very, very odd bottle of Ardanza. It was certainly off -- extremely oaky and almost no fruit. I suspect it was slightly corked as I know cork taint can manifest itself by killing fruit without its usual "damp basement" characteristic, but I'm not 100% convinced at this point.

I'm a bit concerned about La Rioja Alta wines in general. Of a recent case of Vina Alberdi 2007, I'd say 5-6 bottles showed similarly -- very oaky vanilla and coconut and almost no fruit. They were actually very unpleasant. Now, I've tasted a similarly odd bottle of Ardanza. I've drunk too much great Ardanza (and Alberdi) so I know these bottles aren't typical, but I've had too much bad LRA lately.

I did not mark this as "flawed" even though I am almost certain it is, because I'd like any feedback from others on what I've been experiencing with LRA.

Do you find this review helpful? Yes - No / Comments (2)

• V: medium weight almost opaque, some bricking along edge
    N: leather and wood
    T: not much fruit left, a bit dry on finish when first opened. However came into its own w steak on a warm summer evening.

• consistent

• purple black color, aromas of cassis black currants, red currants, structured supple tannins, racy acidity, chocolate notes, cocoa, raspberry jam, tart structured dry finish with spice and ripe fruits

• Drank with a vertical of 2001, 2005. This wine is not ready - in fact the 2005 is more ready today. Real whiff of barnyard on the nose, very tight and tannic for a Rioja). Decanted about an hour and drank over 4 hours. As said before, needs a lot more air if you want to drink it now. Resist the urge!

2 people found this helpful, do you? Yes - No / Comment

View From the Cellar

• By Josh Raynolds
    September/October 2013, IWC Issue #170, (See more on Vinous...)

(La Rioja Alta Vina Ardanza Rioja Reserva) Subscribe to see review text.

The World of Fine Wine

RJonWine.com

• By Richard Jennings
    6/28/2012, (See more on RJonWine.com...) 90 points

(La Rioja Alta Rioja Viña Ardanza Reserva) Bricking medium dark red violet color; appealing, dried berry, black tobacco, dill, iodine nose; dill, iodine, dried black fruit, black tobacco, salty dried prune palate; medium-plus finish 90+ points (3 yrs in oak)

NOTE: Some content is property of JancisRobinson.com and View From the Cellar and Vinous and The World of Fine Wine and RJonWine.com.