1. CamWheeler

CamWheeler

2. Mrbuzz

Mrbuzz

• Was no slouch but perhaps just a notch below the 04 and 07. It had an aroma of smoky minerals, spearmint, pure white peach and grilled nuts. It was dense and sweet, loaded with dry extract and finishing with chalky precision.

• DRC Dinner 1 (Sydney, Australia): Explosive and quite incredible multi-dimensional aromas - honey and graphite, pear, pineapple, orange peel, vanilla, an elusive wisp of smoke and with time the nose took on an additional set of floral notes.

The intensity on the palate is at another level to any white wine I've tried previously, there is a richness that fills your mouth and yet it has the most stunning minerality and acidity that provided the wine with definition, drive and clarity.

The wine just got better and better the longer it was in the glass, I kept some for as long as I could resist throughout the evening and it just continued to reveal more layers every time I went back to it. I don't know what a wine like this will be like in 10 years time, I only know that I thought it was brilliant already.

• Absolut beeindruckend und faszinierend wie sich dieser Wein im Glas entwickelte.
    Anfangs gerösteter Reis,Quittenaromen,über Honig bis man auf einmal das Gefühl hat vor einer Bäckerei zu stehen die gerade frisches Brot aus dem Ofen holt.
    Dann leichter Butter, Vanille,Zitrus und Pfirsich.
    Gut ausbalancierte Säure,herrliche Struktur inkl.langen eleganten Abgang.Grosser Montrachet.
    For me greatest wine from 2008 DRC.

• 2008 Domaine De La Romanee-Conti Tasting (Beltramo's, Menlo Park Ca.): The most anticipated wine of the tasting for me. As soon as I put my nose in the glass I said..."are you kidding me???" "How rich is this nose?" The color was a brilliant metallic yellow, with a green tinge. The nose was HUGE...buttery and spiced tropical fruits, smoky butterscotch, exotic honey, lemons and minerals. In the mouth, the fruit is full, rich, sweet....yet this huge wall of minerals and spice hit you as well. The fruit is really sweet(some botrytis?), a lot sweeter than I thought it would be. So complex....toasted marshmallow, green apple skins, lemon honey butter, spice. To be honest...there was just a tad bit more buttery popcorn and sweet fruit to this than I wanted. But with all that wonderful fresh acidity and ton of minerality...I can see how that fruit needs to be that rich...so that in 10+ years this thing will be off the charts. Could go three digits. Unreal!

• Aubert describes this wine as "One of the most mineral Montrachets made"! Such a pure and crisp wine, sweet notes of grapefruit, acacia, hazelnut. This is serious and wise, very ripe and yet still nice acidity. Ripeness gives it the sense of age. Oak notes on the finish.

• By Antonio Galloni
    Domaine de la Romanée-Conti: An Essay in Terroir (Dec 2013), (See more on Vinous...)

(Domaine De La Romanée-conti Montrachet Grand Cru White) Subscribe to see review text.
  • By Antonio Galloni
    The 2009 White Burgundies (Aug 2011), (See more on Vinous...)

(Domaine De La Romanée-conti Montrachet - Grand Cru White) Subscribe to see review text.

Burghound

Vintage Tastings

• By John Kapon
    Epic European Vacation, 9/6/2011 96 points

(DRC Montrachet) The 2008 DRC Montrachet was an unexpected treat.  We couldn’t taste the 2010 Montrachet due to the fermentation or technological reason of the sorts, so Aubert apologetically pulled out the 2008 Monty.  Apology accepted J.  The Montrachet was another full-throttle, delicious wine.  It was rich and exotic with that signature kiss of botrytis that Aubert achieves year after year.  I think Britney Spears may have summed it up best when she said, ‘Gimme more,’ or maybe that was King Angry, I can’t remember.  The King has given up his throne, however, for a nobler pursuit, sort of.  More details to follow next article, maybe, lol (96).

NOTE: Some content is property of Vinous and Burghound and Vintage Tastings.