1. crampon1973

crampon1973

2. RougeAmore

RougeAmore

• Deep purplish color, clear. Classic nose of coffee, blueberry, violets, acid, and boysenberry. Fresh acid, medium to full body, dry, low tannin palate showing blueberry, oak, light tobacco, violets. Long finish with good acidity.

• Classic French Bordeaux old world style.

• nose: cherry, chocolate, plum
    palate: mocha, plum, meatiness, beef blood
    very dry with with firm tannins.

• Gruaud Larose Dinner (Inovasi - Lake Bluff IL): Blackberry, currant and cassis with good spice aromas to balance. Lots of power, very forward and lush. Slightly sweet on finish, but otherwise everything across as reasonably balance. Best starting in 2014 for the following few years.

• Upon opening, lots of red fruit but bordering on too much sweetness for me. Some wild cherry without the accompanying acidity. After opening for an hour or so, the sweetness tames and shows hints of cedar, but something about this wine remains out of whack. I think I enjoyed my 2008 Groth Cab better at this stage, but only by a little bit.

Day 2: A lot of the sweetness is gone, leaving a pleasant cedar and some fruit. Not a bad bottle.

Day 4: Yeah, I know that the bottle will never make it to Day 4 for most of you, but I've been cutting back on my wine consumption. Preserved with just a Vacuvin. The wine has held up well with flavors of cedar, some faint vanilla and lemon, low or no acidity, and a faint hit of fruit. When I aerated it in the mouth, the cedar really comes through. My reviews generally are based on a wine by itself, without food. When I paired this with food, the wine really shined.

Don't confuse this bottle of "Larose de Gruaud" for the pricier "Chateau Gruaud Larose" or the bargain wine "Sarget de Gruaud Larose", because it's not. I'm thinking of launching my own Chateau and calling it "La rose de Gruaud" or maybe "La confusion de larose de Gruard" or "Prêter à Confusion de Gruaud". Since a rose by any other name is still a rose, why not use the same name as everyone else.