1. Nightingale

2. bytefox

3. Wine Mothership

Wine Mothership

Community Tasting Notes (17) Median Score: 87 points

• Tasted a bottle opened 5 hours earlier and still a lovely warm nose of cassis, cedar and bramble. Silky smooth in the mouth, well structured with soft tannins. This will last and plateau here but I doubt will get any better than it was today.

• I approached this with a little trepidation as this bottle was part of a tiny vertical, 2003 -2005. I wasn't disappointed. There was much more fruit on the nose than I'd bargained for. Nearly up to the heady standard of the 2003 that I've grown to love. A little darker in character this time. Cassis and bramble.
    In the mouth it seems a lot more balanced than the sun packed, red fruit driven 2003. Leather and a little tar came through as welcome secondary flavours and the tannin structured the wine well. Definitely one to drink and think carefully about.

• Monthly Tasting Group HWS #074; Bordeaux: St. Julien (By BS): Hmm….some extreme scores here which I don't understand. The bouquet is fairly luxurious with dark as well as red forest fruits, graphite, some spiciness and good oak. Same on the palate with some green bell peppers and soft tannin. Not extremely full bodied, but certainly a very good wine with an excellent qpr. Early maturity now, probably a bit better around 2014 and still nice in 2018. Hope to have it in my glass again sometime.

• Youthful with clean red fruit flavours with menthol / eucalyptus nots on the finish. This will drink well for another few years yet. Good PQR.

• Olives, tar, licorice, and black fruits on the nose. Found it similar on the tongue. Tannins were mellowed.

Perhaps the bottle was flawed or cooked (purchased and consumed in St Lucia), but I did not share the positive opinions the others posted here. I found it very unpleasing, virtually undrinkable. My wife shared the opinion and we easily agreed to pour it out.

Do you find this review helpful? Yes - No / Comments (3)

View From the Cellar

NOTE: Some content is property of View From the Cellar.