1. Wine Poor

Wine Poor

2. Vinnut

3. Rezy13

• This was a duplicate of a previous bottle. More like a glopy Belle Glos (which I hate) than a Hansel. My least favorite Hansel pinot ever. Not sure why my bottles have been so bad when everyone else has had good ones. Not even worthy of describing further.

• We drank this visiting with friends while our prime rib was in the oven. This was followed by a 08 A.P. Vin Turner. This was more elegant with lighter flavour which I liked.

• One of my favorite California wineries, but I suspect this is probably not going to be as elegant as a typical Hansel pinot. I was correct, this is nearly-opaque and very dark purple in the glass ... not the typical Hansel translucent red color. Aromas of rich,very ripe, dark-berry fruits appear immediately on opening with baking spices emerging later. Big, rich, ripe, lush and juicy on the palate with a full body, creamy texture, firm structure, slightly drying tannins and some rough edges. Still very vibrant and fresh, and simply huge -- somewhat in the style of a Belle Gloss (which I hate). I never would have guessed this for a pinot, much less a Hansel pinot. Will not score this as while I think it is a very flavorful, well-made wine, it is simply way too rich for my pinot palate.

• Drinking well. Fruit has dropped off but underlying structure of underbrush and rRV terroir remains.

• Medium ruby red in color. Forward, attractive & fragrant nose of still youthful & developing, ripe fruit aromas of red cherries, strawberries & blueberries with spicy overtones of cloves & cinnamon, orange rind, earthy notes, dusty, cola, minerals and toasty oak & vanilla undertones. Medium bodied with a good concentration of well balanced, smooth textured, youthful, ripe red fruit flavors of tart cherries, strawberries & cranberries with spice notes of cloves, earthy, some cherry-cola, cocoa, minerals with toasty oak & a touch of vanilla. Lingering finish. Drinks quite well at present although it will continue its development with further aging.

• By Antonio Galloni
    The Best of Sonoma (Feb 2012), (See more on Vinous...)

(Hansel Pinot Noir North Slope Russian River Valley) Subscribe to see review text.

• By Josh Raynolds
    May/June 2010, IWC Issue #150, (See more on Vinous...)

(Walter Hansel Winery Pinot Noir The North Slope Vineyard Russian River Valley) Subscribe to see review text.

NOTE: Some content is property of Vinous and Burghound.