Community Tasting Notes (1)

• A pleasant little find, pulled from the bin-ends bucket at a local wine shop. I understand these wines can be quite rich and dark, even jammy, in their youth. Many Santadi wines see a good amount of French oak, but the Grotta Rossa (at least recently) is apparently aged in cement vats. That's what I hear. What I got was better than any of that indicates. More than I could have reasonably expected in fact. Opened last night to screechy metal and leather, but these qualities were quickly tamed with air. Over the hours, and through the second night, this wine expressed its age in much the same way a good Bordeaux--or, better, a well-made Languedoc--of similar years might: leather and cedar accented by the fruity memory of a dark, plummy youth. Best with the meal, but nice before and after.

My fondness for Sardinian wines is growing.