Michaelangelo's Dino Torti (et al.) Wine dinner

Michaelangelo's (Cleveland, OH)
Tasted Thursday, February 18, 2010 by dkoontz with 433 views

Introduction

Late Valentine's Day dinner. Michaelangelo's has quickly become one of my favorite restaurants since I discovered in Continental's in-flight magazine of all places. 6 courses paired with 6 wines, 5 of which were Dino Torti's from Lombardia. The last was a Vin Santo di Montepulciano. Great experience and amazing QPR on the evening

Flight 1 (1 Note)

Flight 2 (1 Note)

• 2008 Dino Torti Pinot Nero Oltrepò Pavese Bianco 85 Points

Italy, Lombardia, Oltrepò Pavese

Paired with a roasted garlic and shrimp ravioli with a brown butter, sage, hedgehog mushroom trifolata. The wine was juicy but had more red wine character than I would expect with the skins having been removed so early. I hate most Rose`s for that reason, but this white was good and paired nicely with the food.

Flight 3 (1 Note)

Flight 4 (1 Note)

Flight 5 (1 Note)

• 2005 Dino Torti Pinot Nero Oltrepò Pavese 85 Points

Italy, Lombardia, Oltrepò Pavese

Paired with venison scollopine with mushroom marsala and swiss chard. Overall good impression of the wine, but the pours were generous and I wasn't wasting any of the wine, so I can't give a detailed note. This was the weakest dish of the evening, but I think the pairing was good.

Flight 6 (1 Note)

• 1995 Vecchia Cantina di Montepulciano Vin Santo di Montepulciano Cantina del Redi 92 Points

Italy, Tuscany, Montepulciano, Vin Santo di Montepulciano

Paired perfectly with the almond biscotti and gelatto. Per our host's recommendation we poured some of the wine over the dessert. Outstanding. The wine had a rich aroma of honey with a palate exploding with chestnut, honey and caramel. Not much would have been memorable on my sixth glass of the evening but this one was - and the pairing could not have been better.