CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

Woodinville big red recommendation

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Woodinville big red recommendation Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Woodinville big red recommendation - 11/28/2021 5:12:18 PM   
Slye

A relative wants to take his spouse to a Woodinville winery. They only have time for one. They are doing a family dinner at DeLille. I am told she likes big reds, peppery, tanniny. More cab than syrah. Any recommendations?
Post #: 1
RE: Woodinville big red recommendation - 11/28/2021 5:14:39 PM   
rthpal

Chateau Sainte Michelle.

(in reply to Slye)
Post #: 2
RE: Woodinville big red recommendation - 11/28/2021 5:16:07 PM   
dad300

Sparkman or Fidelitas will fit the bill.. though Sparkman is better with Syrah imho.

Red Mountain stole my wine stained heart

(in reply to Slye)
Post #: 3
RE: Woodinville big red recommendation - 11/28/2021 5:55:35 PM   
Clark W Griswold

Adams bench for bold tannic cabs. Big, dry, oaky reds. They only use fruit from Red willow, Stillwater creek and Mays discovery. Reservations are required. Fidelitas as mentioned is a good choice as well. Let us know where you ended up and how you liked it. Cheers

(in reply to Slye)
Post #: 4
RE: Woodinville big red recommendation - 11/28/2021 6:32:40 PM   
Slye

Thanks for the all of the helpful replies so far. I thought of Adam’s Bench so good to have that confirmed!

(in reply to Clark W Griswold)
Post #: 5
RE: Woodinville big red recommendation - 11/28/2021 9:50:36 PM   
jmcmchi

Depending on what you mean by “big”, Mark Ryan or Gorman are the most obvious examples of powerful fruit driven syrah’s and cab’s, love them or hate them, a big contrast to Delille (btw make sure to try their Harrison Hill while there)

Fidelitas focus on Red Mountain Bordeaux varieties. Adams Bench is a more refined style, also Bordeaux varieties

Efeste has both syrah’s and Cab’s, Kevin White mainly Rhone varietals, both emphasizing the peppery style of syrah

(in reply to Slye)
Post #: 6
RE: Woodinville big red recommendation - 11/29/2021 9:00:08 AM   
Jenise

quote:

ORIGINAL: jmcmchi

Depending on what you mean by “big”, Mark Ryan or Gorman are the most obvious examples of powerful fruit driven syrah’s and cab’s, love them or hate them, a big contrast to Delille (btw make sure to try their Harrison Hill while there)

Fidelitas focus on Red Mountain Bordeaux varieties. Adams Bench is a more refined style, also Bordeaux varieties

Efeste has both syrah’s and Cab’s, Kevin White mainly Rhone varietals, both emphasizing the peppery style of syrah

I would put Mark Ryan, Gorman and Sparkman in the same bucket of bigness. Higher alcohol, "gobs of hedonistic fruit" style wines, which I will admit to detesting while the sophisticated DeLille are wines I love. Fidelitas would offer some contrast without being "out there", as would Obelisco whose stylish wines have concentration and structure. And both are more or less around the corner from DeLille--those would be my choices.

(in reply to jmcmchi)
Post #: 7
RE: Woodinville big red recommendation - 11/30/2021 5:23:03 AM   
KPB

I was about two miles from Woodinville on Saturday, but the group didn’t want to go taste wines and instead we went to University of Washington’s second campus, at Bothell. The trick is to arrive right before or at the official sunset time, and then walk around or wait on the overlook ramp above the soccer field. Around 15 minutes after sunset, an enormous crow roost will suddenly turn up, like 50,000 crows, all more or less arriving simultaneously as it gets dark. This is quite a scene and the ideal way to cap a somewhat inebriated event over in Woodinville…

Ken Birman
The Professor of Brettology

(in reply to Jenise)
Post #: 8
RE: Woodinville big red recommendation - 11/30/2021 7:09:10 AM   
Sourdough

Neat story Ken. I will need to do that when I finally get to Woodinville!

(in reply to KPB)
Post #: 9
RE: Woodinville big red recommendation - 12/1/2021 9:42:55 AM   
BRR

quote:

ORIGINAL: KPB

I was about two miles from Woodinville on Saturday, but the group didn’t want to go taste wines and instead we went to University of Washington’s second campus, at Bothell. The trick is to arrive right before or at the official sunset time, and then walk around or wait on the overlook ramp above the soccer field. Around 15 minutes after sunset, an enormous crow roost will suddenly turn up, like 50,000 crows, all more or less arriving simultaneously as it gets dark. This is quite a scene and the ideal way to cap a somewhat inebriated event over in Woodinville…

There are a handful of very, very large crow rookeries in the N Seattle area and that is one of them. They fly over my house at nearly the same time each evening and back out in the morning. They're quiet as they do so, fortunately, as I'd imagine it's anything BUT quiet on site!

Cheers!

(in reply to KPB)
Post #: 10
RE: Woodinville big red recommendation - 12/1/2021 9:44:13 AM   
BRR

It sounds like the choice was made, but I want to mention Avennia. While they're big, they're not over-to-top. Their new tasting room just down from the industrial TN cluster is great with fun maps of the various AVAs and vineyards.

Cheers!

(in reply to BRR)
Post #: 11
RE: Woodinville big red recommendation - 12/1/2021 12:46:06 PM   
Slye

Thanks BRR -- I had already suggested Avennia -- like you I enjoy their wines! And the tasting room is quite nice and convenient.

(in reply to BRR)
Post #: 12
RE: Woodinville big red recommendation - 12/1/2021 5:45:48 PM   
KPB

Important to wear a raincoat and a hat! And the noise is remarkable.

Ken Birman

(in reply to Slye)
Post #: 13
RE: Woodinville big red recommendation - 12/1/2021 8:07:58 PM   
jmcmchi

quote:

Rain in Woodinville? Lies, lies, (except on 340 days of the year)

(in reply to KPB)
Post #: 14
RE: Woodinville big red recommendation - 12/2/2021 3:41:36 AM   
musedir

Efeste Big Papa or Jolie would fit the bill.

"Fan the sinnking flame of hilarity with the wing of friendship; and pass the rosy wine." Charles Dickens.

(in reply to jmcmchi)
Post #: 15
RE: Woodinville big red recommendation - 12/2/2021 9:28:11 AM   
BRR

quote:

ORIGINAL: Slye

Thanks BRR -- I had already suggested Avennia -- like you I enjoy their wines! And the tasting room is quite nice and convenient.

Whoopsie...

Cheers!

(in reply to Slye)
Post #: 16
RE: Woodinville big red recommendation - 12/3/2021 4:38:55 PM   
KPB

quote:

With a cloud of crows, not everything that might fall from the sky is rain…

Ken Birman

(in reply to KPB)
Post #: 17
RE: Woodinville big red recommendation - 12/4/2021 5:37:37 PM   
hankj

quote:

Early in my career I taught on that campus when it first opened. The restoration of the wetland where all the birds live was a major part of that building project. Many ishty administrators on that campus, seemingly sent to the provinces to be someone else's problem. But the environmental improvements made up there are great 👍

There are those who'd call us a bunch of sots but we don't see ourselves like that. We see ourselves as hobbyists. - Kevin Barry

(in reply to KPB)
Post #: 18
RE: Woodinville big red recommendation - 12/4/2021 5:39:25 PM   
hankj

Also, a huge red in Woodinville? Just jog backwards for 20 seconds and you'll trip over one.

There are those who'd call us a bunch of sots but we don't see ourselves like that. We see ourselves as hobbyists. - Kevin Barry

(in reply to KPB)
Post #: 19
RE: Woodinville big red recommendation - 12/4/2021 5:40:40 PM   
hankj

The Janiuk tasting room is very nice, Champoux Cab pretty good wine

(in reply to hankj)
Post #: 20
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Woodinville big red recommendation Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI