CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

Eurocave Artevino III -- Shelf Support Questions

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Eurocave Artevino III -- Shelf Support Questions Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Eurocave Artevino III -- Shelf Support Questions - 8/20/2020 9:44:29 AM   
vbjd1111

My new Eurocave has arrived and is in its 48 hour rest period before I plug it in. Now that it's here, I see that there are two types of supports for the wooden shelves. One type is a long support that runs front and back hooked into the right and left sides, which allows the shelf to roll in and out. The other type is a tab -- placed in the four corners, one in the front and one in the back, on each side -- that support the shelf statically in each corner. Both types can be placed in multiple locations up and down in the unit.

My understanding is that the tabs are used to support "storage" shelves -- ones with bottles stacked upon one another. My confusion is that my cellar came with only six of these tabs. One set of four is configured for the top shelf (a "display" shelf -- not sure I will use it in that fashion); the other two tabs were loose in the bag of hardware. There is also a bracket that runs across the front center of the unit that I understand is designed to keep the unit from bowing when full; that bracket also has tabs on the top of it, so presumably one could configure a shelf on that bracket in the front and the extra two tabs in the back.

Questions:
1. Where would I get extra tabs if I wanted them? Extra support racks? (Heck, extra shelves?)
2. Can the longer support racks handle more than one level of bottles?
3. How do people configure their cellar for multi-level "storage" of bottles with only two full sets of tabs? Do you store more than one level using the longer support racks that slide?

Thanks for any input!
Post #: 1
RE: Eurocave Artevino III -- Shelf Support Questions - 8/20/2020 8:50:39 PM   
Paul852

Assuming your Artevino is the same as mine then I think you may have misunderstood the purpose of the wooden dowels. (If what you call "tabs" are not wooden dowels then I guess you have a different shelving system and can ignore this, but looking at what CostCo sells as the Artevino III, it looks exactly the same as what Eurocave describes as the "Oxygen" range in other markets.)

In my cabinet all of the shelves are on the metal supports - the wooden dowels are not for the purposes of supporting the shelves, they are for inserting into the holes in sides of the shelves from above. For shelves that are to slide you put two dowels through the back holes which serve to stop the shelf being pulled out too far. For static shelves you put the dowels in the front holes which stop the shelf being pulled out at all. You should have two dowels for each shelf so that it is configured either fixed or sliding. This is important because without these dowels there is nothing to stop the shelf sliding straight off the front of the runners. I ordered extra shelves for my cabinet at the same time as I got the unit from the distributor here. Obviously that reduces the capacity quite significantly - my 4-shelf model as shipped is nominally 230 bottles, but with the 5 extra shelfs I ordered (for better accessibility to wines) I can get a macimum of about 175 bottles in there, fewer if too many are non-Bordeaux shape/size.

I certainly wouldn't risk more than one layer of bottles on a sliding shelf, both for the weight issue when extended, and because of the danger of the top bottles on each end falling off when slid out. You can put up to 6 layers (72 bottles) on a static shelf.

And from my almost very expensive experience, when you mount the metal shelf supports you must give them a good downwards push/thump to ensure that the lugs are down behind the side wall, not just in the hole.

The user manual that came with mine had a reasonable clear explanation of how this all works, and there's a video (with French audio, but understandable without sound) here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ym8tFBS99tw

And given all that, I would say that these are great cabinets - mine has been absolutely trouble-free for the 2.5 years I've had it. It's basically silent, and, particularly since I bought the solid door model, the power consumption is very low.

< Message edited by Paul852 -- 8/20/2020 8:52:45 PM >

(in reply to vbjd1111)
Post #: 2
RE: Eurocave Artevino III -- Shelf Support Questions - 8/20/2020 9:23:51 PM   
vbjd1111

Thanks, Paul. The version I have does have an "Oxygen" sticker on it and it looks similar to the model in the video, which was very helpful. I understand how the dowels work, the tabs are black metal and are a different item. I've posted pictures here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/aKAQGRzVm2DkKZRf9. As you can see, what I am calling a "tab" is designed to attach into the side of the cellar instead of the racks to support the corners (as opposed to the sides) of the wooden racks. (The ones already mounted in the cabinet support a shelf that has a "display" portion that holds bottles at a 45 degree angle. That particular rack does not have any grooves in the sides to slide in and out.)

You do appear to have answered one of my questions, which is that you can do multi-level storage using the racks to support the shelves, so long as you have configured the dowels not to slide the shelf. That sounded like what the manual was saying, but the tabs confused me. That's also shown in the video. Thanks for the help.

Where did you get your extra shelves? Since I ordered from Costco, they are not really an option for parts!

Thanks again.

(in reply to Paul852)
Post #: 3
RE: Eurocave Artevino III -- Shelf Support Questions - 8/20/2020 9:50:30 PM   
Paul852

Unfortunately that photo link doesn't work for me... but my shelves are all of the same beechwood fixed design - I don't have a presentation shelf, so I'm probably not going to be able to help much on this.

I'm actually in Hong Kong, not the USA, and my distributor had the extra shelf packs. Artevino only lists Costco as its distributor in the USA, so I guess this might be an issue. You could try contacting Artevino directly.

< Message edited by Paul852 -- 8/21/2020 3:54:45 AM >

(in reply to vbjd1111)
Post #: 4
RE: Eurocave Artevino III -- Shelf Support Questions - 8/21/2020 3:35:24 AM   
khmark7

With my Eurocave i have multiple sliding shelves - they are ALL only one level.

Each of my units has one or two static support shelves. I custom ordered the two units some time back....Wine Enthusiast i believe.

"a rogue Provence rouge of unknown provenance." author grafstrb

(in reply to Paul852)
Post #: 5
RE: Eurocave Artevino III -- Shelf Support Questions - 8/21/2020 3:48:54 AM   
Paul852

Ah - the link works without the dot at the end: https://photos.app.goo.gl/aKAQGRzVm2DkKZRf9

But my Artevino Oxygen didn't come with anything like that, so I've no idea, sorry!

(in reply to khmark7)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Eurocave Artevino III -- Shelf Support Questions Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI