CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

How long to allow wine to recover from bottle/travel shock before drinking?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> How long to allow wine to recover from bottle/travel shock before drinking? Page: [1]
[Poll]

How long to allow wine to recover from bottle/travel shock before drinking?

2-3 Days
  26% (6)
2-3 Weeks
  56% (13)
2-3 Months
  4% (1)
Shock Smock just Pobega it
  13% (3)

Total Votes : 23

(last vote on : 11/29/2021 12:58:39 PM)
(Poll will run till: -- )
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
How long to allow wine to recover from bottle/travel sh... - 11/13/2021 3:56:10 AM   
RedRedMoreRed

I'm not asking what age you prefer your wine. This is specific to the effect of travel/shipment on the wine itself, regardless of the wines vintage.

< Message edited by RedRedMoreRed -- 11/13/2021 3:58:31 AM >

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy ~ Benjamin Franklin
Post #: 1
RE: How long to allow wine to recover from bottle/trave... - 11/13/2021 6:55:51 AM   
fingers

Isn’t travel/bottle shock two different things?

Travel shock, a couple days
Bottle shock, months

(in reply to RedRedMoreRed)
Post #: 2
RE: How long to allow wine to recover from bottle/trave... - 11/13/2021 7:01:09 AM   
musedir

Yes, my answer is for bottle shock.

"Fan the sinnking flame of hilarity with the wing of friendship; and pass the rosy wine." Charles Dickens.

(in reply to fingers)
Post #: 3
RE: How long to allow wine to recover from bottle/trave... - 11/13/2021 8:24:35 AM   
S1

Travel—as long as the wines are youngish and free from sediment, I might pop one on the way home from the FedEx store.
Bottle—since I don’t live in a wine region, I don’t get freshly bottled wines. We did open one right off the line on our last Napa visit. Interesting.

Tous les chemins mènent à la Bourgogne!
"One not only drinks wine, one smells it, observes it, tastes it, sips it and -- one talks about it!" (in memory of drycab)

(in reply to musedir)
Post #: 4
RE: How long to allow wine to recover from bottle/trave... - 11/13/2021 8:27:12 AM   
jmcmchi

For young wines, I’d wait at least until I have them all unpacked

For wines that throw (a lot of) sediment, it could be a couple of weeks standing upright

(in reply to musedir)
Post #: 5
RE: How long to allow wine to recover from bottle/trave... - 11/13/2021 8:29:09 AM   
ImUrHuckleberry

Totally different answer between young wines and older wines and also between reds and whites. The younger wines and white wines I will sometimes pop right away. Any red with age or a propensity for sediment I will let sit for at least a couple of weeks or more. I've opened a small number of older reds right away after reading posts that travel shock doesn't exist, and had some real bad experiences!

(in reply to S1)
Post #: 6
RE: How long to allow wine to recover from bottle/trave... - 11/13/2021 9:22:11 AM   
Blue Shorts

quote:

I've opened a small number of older reds right away after reading posts that travel shock doesn't exist, and had some real bad experiences!

How long do you wait to open an older bottle of red that has been laying down in the cellar for years? Since all of the sediment is on the side, and when you go to open it, some of that sediment mixes back into the wine...do you let it sit for days/weeks upright, or just a few hours?

(in reply to ImUrHuckleberry)
Post #: 7
RE: How long to allow wine to recover from bottle/trave... - 11/13/2021 10:02:03 AM   
rthpal

Two weeks for reds , one week for whites after receipt (advice from wine merchants).

(in reply to RedRedMoreRed)
Post #: 8
RE: How long to allow wine to recover from bottle/trave... - 11/13/2021 10:12:21 AM   
Wine Grove

1 Week minimum would be my answer. But I do not see that as a choice.

2+ weeks is the safe bet though

(in reply to rthpal)
Post #: 9
RE: How long to allow wine to recover from bottle/trave... - 11/13/2021 12:25:57 PM   
jmcmchi

quote:

ORIGINAL: Blue Shorts

How long do you wait to open an older bottle of red that has been laying down in the cellar for years? Since all of the sediment is on the side, and when you go to open it, some of that sediment mixes back into the wine...do you let it sit for days/weeks upright, or just a few hours?

Usually this is a “do as I say, not as I do “ situation.

If I am planning properly, I’ll take it out a few days ahead and stand upright near the dining table. If I’m really organized I take out a week’s wines ahead of time. Otherwise leave it upright as long as possible (a couple of hours?) remembering which side was facing down and decant gently to minimize the disturbance on that side. This happens a lot with Washington Syrah as well

< Message edited by jmcmchi -- 11/13/2021 12:44:41 PM >

(in reply to Blue Shorts)
Post #: 10
RE: How long to allow wine to recover from bottle/trave... - 11/13/2021 12:52:29 PM   
dad300

for travel/shipping its more on the side of of a week. for true bottle shock..ie i assume that this bottle has been through the wringer.. a month or more.. but......... i have begun to buy multiple bottles to judge where things are in the grander scheme of things..so sometimes i open a bottle very quick just to see where it is.. assuming I'm sacrificing a bottle to the wine gods to plan appropriately..

Red Mountain stole my wine stained heart

(in reply to jmcmchi)
Post #: 11
RE: How long to allow wine to recover from bottle/trave... - 11/13/2021 1:03:29 PM   
ImUrHuckleberry

quote:

quote:

I've opened a small number of older reds right away after reading posts that travel shock doesn't exist, and had some real bad experiences!

So I'm not super experienced and do not own tons of aged reds yet, but have plenty in the cellar that will meet that category in the years to come!

Anyway, I frequently look at my wines and read recent reviews and drink by dates and then between my moods and whims and holidays or visits/parties coming up etc. I start to stage stuff that I might like to drink soon (within 1 to 3 or 4 months) by standing them up on a shelf in my basement.

Post #: 12
RE: How long to allow wine to recover from bottle/trave... - 11/13/2021 1:09:51 PM   
dad300

quote:

ORIGINAL: ImUrHuckleberry

quote:

quote:

So I'm not super experienced and do not own tons of aged reds yet, but have plenty in the cellar that will meet that category in the years to come!

Anyway, I frequently look at my wines and read recent reviews and drink by dates and then between my moods and whims and holidays or visits/parties coming up etc. I start to stage stuff that I might like to drink soon (within 1 to 3 or 4 months) by standing them up on a shelf in my basement.

i need to buy a wine fridge just to stand stuff up in

Red Mountain stole my wine stained heart

Post #: 13
RE: How long to allow wine to recover from bottle/trave... - 11/13/2021 1:12:06 PM   
Blue Shorts

quote:

I start to stage stuff that I might like to drink soon (within 1 to 3 or 4 months) by standing them up on a shelf in my basement.

Thanks. You sound like a very organized person. When it comes to wine, I rarely plan more than a day or two ahead.

Post #: 14
RE: How long to allow wine to recover from bottle/trave... - 11/13/2021 2:23:16 PM   
BenG

quote:

quote:

I start to stage stuff that I might like to drink soon (within 1 to 3 or 4 months) by standing them up on a shelf in my basement.

Thanks. You sound like a very organized person. When it comes to wine, I rarely plan more than a day or two ahead.

I have read with VP (which is famous for its sediment), that you should stand it up for 24 hours before. This has worked for me so far. There are some hardcore VP tragics on this forum though, and they will have more experience.

Post #: 15
RE: How long to allow wine to recover from bottle/trave... - 11/13/2021 3:41:22 PM   
fanglangzhe

And there are also those who regard both bottle & travel shock as a myth especially for wines without any sediment. It's a controversial subject.

(in reply to BenG)
Post #: 16
RE: How long to allow wine to recover from bottle/trave... - 11/13/2021 4:51:18 PM   
CranBurgundy

RRMR: it's "Pobega" - as in Mike Pobega on WB.

The older the wine is, the longer I lay it down and the colder the storage temperature is once it's received. Sediment can take several weeks to a month or two in some bottles (like Vintage Port).

Purple Drankin' Cretin.

Vote NO on Proposition S1ct1516 "BAN the CRAN!" this Election Day.

“Let it be recorded: henceforth, December 15 shall be known as 'The Day of Dennis'.” - Prof. Ken "KPB" Birman, 12/17/23

(in reply to fanglangzhe)
Post #: 17
RE: How long to allow wine to recover from bottle/trave... - 11/13/2021 4:56:33 PM   
racerchris

It depends on the age of the bottle.
I'll drink a young wine within 24 hours of bringing it home without worry,
but a 25+yo bottle will get up to a week.
So I voted the 2-3 day option.

Chris Foley
Searching for very good to excellent, cheap Bordeaux
stainlesswineracks.com

(in reply to CranBurgundy)
Post #: 18
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> How long to allow wine to recover from bottle/travel shock before drinking? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI