CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

Armagnac advice needed

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Armagnac advice needed Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Armagnac advice needed - 2/12/2012 9:42:51 PM   
IWineAlot

I am thinking about buying two bottles of this armagnac from a private seller. Comte De Lauva Armagnac 1929. Since I'm not that we'll educated on armagnacs I hope some of you out there might be. First off how much should I offer for the pair and secondly is this a good producer? Thank you in advance.

Steve AKA "Topic Reviver"

See_Swirl_Smell_Savor_Spit/Swallow_Say Again

"Do what you want...But I'm drinking"
Post #: 1
RE: Armagnac advice needed - 2/13/2012 4:53:41 AM   
gbm

I have no experience with this particular producer or vintage, but I found a bottle online for £ 631.35

--------

That bottle is Comte de Lauvia, but I suspect they are the same.

< Message edited by gbm -- 2/13/2012 4:54:31 AM >

Greg

(in reply to IWineAlot)
Post #: 2
RE: Armagnac advice needed - 2/13/2012 5:17:03 AM   
champagneinhand

i was curious a bout this subject as well. Our local retailer has quite a collection, but I didn't really understand the big difference in price between 1969 and 1968. The '68s were almost double the price and you had to go back into the 50's to find another $300+ bottle. I guess this is the second most famous brandy, only to cognac. I still don't understand why cognac says its made from champagne, when its clearly not made from champagne grapes or in the champagne area of France. I would like to learn more about these spirits, just don't have the time or $$ to get into that. Very happy with vodka, gin, rum, tequila and whiskies.

As I age my finger tips seem to be bigger, my iOS keyboard seems to be less kind, and my need for wearing reading glasses has never been greater. I hope you are forgiving and can read between my lines.

(in reply to gbm)
Post #: 3
RE: Armagnac advice needed - 2/13/2012 5:21:41 AM   
gbm

I bought this booka few years back to learn more about armagnac.  It was very interesting, but seemed more outdated than its 1999 publication date.  Regardless, I would recommend it if you are interested in learning more about the region and the drink.

Greg

(in reply to champagneinhand)
Post #: 4
RE: Armagnac advice needed - 2/13/2012 5:33:22 AM   
champagneinhand

a book that sells for $171 new, best have good information. I think that is one of the most expensive books I have seen since university days. At least the subject looks enjoyable, but if the book is that pricey, then it looks as if trying to master the subject would cost as much as mastering Burgundy. That is a serious financial commitment! Thanks for the info, as I appreciate it. Maybe there is some electronic form of the book or soon will be.

As I age my finger tips seem to be bigger, my iOS keyboard seems to be less kind, and my need for wearing reading glasses has never been greater. I hope you are forgiving and can read between my lines.

(in reply to gbm)
Post #: 5
RE: Armagnac advice needed - 2/13/2012 5:36:36 AM   
gbm

Not sure why it is listed at that price.  If you look below on that page, the same book is listed for $39.95.  I paid somewhere in that range for it ~ $35-40. 

Greg

(in reply to champagneinhand)
Post #: 6
RE: Armagnac advice needed - 2/13/2012 5:45:34 AM   
champagneinhand

That is probably a good deal. I was able to read many pages when I clicked on the book. Lots about producers, negociants, soils, subsoils. Much like reading a wine book and it is well over 300 pages so for $40, that is reasonable for sure.

(in reply to gbm)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Armagnac advice needed Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI