CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

winecommune experience (selling)?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> winecommune experience (selling)? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
winecommune experience (selling)? - 3/24/2008 6:45:52 AM   
kilsen

I'm curious -- has anyone had any experience as a SELLER of wine on winecommune.com?  Their site indicates that the seller is responsible for obtaining the proper legal licenses etc. for selling and shipping wine.  Given the variety and complexity of issues involved in shipping inter- and intra-state, and the different rules that different states have, I would imagine that this could be rather daunting.
Post #: 1
RE: winecommune experience (selling)? - 3/24/2008 12:49:58 PM   
GalvezGuy

Basically it boils down to this.  You must be a wine retailer in your state which means that you have to have all of the licenses for your state.  Then, you have be aware of the shipping laws for retailers from state to state.  There are several sites that allow you to know these regulations.  Finally, UPS and FedEx explicitly only ship wines from businesses to avoid liability issues.  I have seen several folks label their boxes "Olive Oil" or something else and by-pass the shipping laws.  In my state, TABC is very serious and cracks down hard on offenders. 

Burgundy makes you think of silly things; Bordeaux makes you talk about them; Champagne makes you do them.

(in reply to kilsen)
Post #: 2
RE: winecommune experience (selling)? - 3/24/2008 12:59:57 PM   
kilsen

So have you personally done it via winecommune?  Was it worth the licensing fees and hassles?

(in reply to GalvezGuy)
Post #: 3
RE: winecommune experience (selling)? - 3/24/2008 10:09:59 PM   
remeny1

I have sold many wines on Winecommune, and find the process to be quite easy.  I admit that I may not be in accordance with all the local laws, but in terms of the functionality of the site, and receiving payment, it works quite well.

(in reply to kilsen)
Post #: 4
RE: winecommune experience (selling)? - 3/25/2008 6:09:23 PM   
jamscreator

I have purchased many wines on Wine Commune, but have never sold any.  Many of the listings on WC are by individuals, and they state that it is up to the buyer to know the laws in his/her state regarding the shipping of wine (or receiving wine as it may be).  With this in mind, it is reasonably safe to assume that a considerable number of sellers are individuals who are side stepping federal shipping regulations.  I have to admit that I personally wouldn't think twice about selling wine on WC and shipping it from a UPS store.  Good luck...........and don't get caught! 

Jeff Lawson
Twitter: jamscreator

"Drink what you like, and like what you drink."
-Robert Mondavi

(in reply to remeny1)
Post #: 5
RE: winecommune experience (selling)? - 3/27/2008 6:39:01 AM   
mike p

Much luck selling myself. Just be careful of the high negative feedback buyers, which you can block from bidding in your preference area. Anything above 3 I block.

Good luck.

(in reply to jamscreator)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> winecommune experience (selling)? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI