CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

Will this kind of temp/humidity variation in my cellar hurt my wines' aging?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Will this kind of temp/humidity variation in my cellar hurt my wines' aging? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Will this kind of temp/humidity variation in my cellar ... - 7/12/2021 7:48:38 PM   
Rossodio

Hi all -

I took the plunge on a massive Wine Enthusiast fridge (holds supposedly 300 bottles, I have right at 250 in there including 13 magnums and a double mag, 3 500mL and 5 375mL bottles; has a charcoal filter that purportedly controls humidity) a few months ago. I have had a temperature and humidity logger for a number of years and I decided to see how well the wine fridge holds its temperature and humidity. I am hoping that some really hardcore (or even academically qualified!) cellar nerds can comment on what I am seeing here and how it might affect the way my wines age. My hope is that this is nearly as good as having a passive underground cellar insofar as ability to age wines properly and well, although the character and frequency of temperature fluctuations will undoubtedly be different from those within a passive underground cellar. I am not considering vibration or light when testing here.

I set my logger to check temps and humidity every 10 minutes (or 5, can't remember which, it really is no matter) and graphed it below. The fridge was set at 52 degrees Fahrenheit. The fridge has 9 shelves where bottles can be stacked 2 high, plus a bottom section that I use for magnums (and a 3L) that can stack about 3 high and a top shelf that can hold about 2 champagne or larger 750mL bottles stacked. The fridge runs 2 bottles deep from front to back when packed with wine.

My logger was set in the middle of the middle shelf, not in physical contact with any bottles but rather nearly touching the top tips of 4 bottles it sat between. I live in South Carolina and away from the coast but still in a relatively humid area.

Here is what I can glean from the log:
- The cooling unit comes on when it hits 55F in the middle of the fridge.
- The cooling unit turns off when it hits 46F in the middle of the fridge.
- The cooling unit comes on about once every 27 hours and runs for about 4 hours each time in a room that is typically around 72-75F.
- The average fridge temp is approximately 51F; the fridge holds its temp in degrees Fahrenheit longer the closer it approaches to room temp, making this calculation a bit more difficult.
- While the fans within are running, the logger shows an acute decrease in ambient air temperature, appearing to drop 11 degrees in 2 hours and then an additional 5 degrees in 2 hours. I realize that the actual wine bottles (made of glass plus the liquid inside) are not fluctuating nearly that much and are, in fact, dropping from 55F to 46F over a 4 hour course. This is a 2.25 degree Fahrenheit drop per hour on average over 4 hours. I imagine that would be a bit faster drop for the bottles in the back near the cooling fans/cooling wall, and a bit slower for the bottles in the front nearer to the door and away from the cooling components.
- During idle time there is an increase of about 0.33F per hour over the following 27 hours. This speaks to both the insulation of the unit and the ability of 250 bottles to maintain a steady temp about 17-30 degrees below room temp.
-Humidity runs from 65-68% during idle time (27 of every 31 hrs) and drops to the mid-50's while the unit is actively cooling (4 of every 31 hrs)

My next projects will likely be:
- Logging temperature/humidity in the bottom section and the top shelf and perhaps right and left edges of my fridge, and the frontmost and rearmost areas, trying to keep the logger away from the fans' direct line of fire, to see if the actual temps in those sections fluctuate more or get away from goal temp more.
- Getting some simple general differences between those areas and the dead center of the fridge that I just logged at. Future logging sessions will likely have the meter sitting wedged between the body of two bottles of wine so as to decrease the wild fluctuations I saw here with the logger being between the tops of the necks of some bottles where the most air would move and the least influence of the bottles' actual temperature would be.
- Checking similar tests in my under counter Sub-Zero dual zone wine fridge that holds about 60 bottles and the Haier fridge I bought about 12 years ago from Craigslist for 50 bucks which holds 50 bottles, 13 of which are 375mL bottles of Sauternes/Barsac wines. It has been running like a champ since I bought it which is impressive, costing me a little over 4 dollars per year outside of energy costs, or 8 cents per bottle per year :D.

If anyone has suggestions of other tests I should try with my two fridges that I am actually aging wines in - the Haier and the big one - I am up for giving it a try and making this a megathread about wine fridge conditions.

The bottom line for me is to figure out with your help whether the conditions in the big fridge I have are close to those of the tried and true Eurocave fridges that folks have that seem to age wines even long term without issues. Even better to compare to a walk in cellar with a cooling unit. If the fridge is not close to those conditions, wondering how my fridge's conditions may affect my wines' aging. The only thing I am tempted to do right now is to up the temp in the fridge to 55F, but want more data before doing much of anything.

I welcome any thoughts you guys have here. I will probably post this on wineberserkers.com as well.

If interested in seeing it, the cellar itself looks somewhat similar to this, though only the central 4 shelves have the vinoview feature and the rest just show the punts of the bottles facing the door: https://www.wineenthusiast.com/classic-xl-300-bottle-wine-cellar-with-vinoview-shelving

< Message edited by Rossodio -- 7/12/2021 8:02:27 PM >

- Rossodio
USA

Click below to see my profile on CT:

Post #: 1
RE: Will this kind of temp/humidity variation in my cel... - 7/13/2021 4:07:14 AM   
DoubleD1969

The temp fluctuations are nothing to be concerned about. They’re relatively minor. The liquid in the bottle will stay more constant than the air temp. However, what will affect the aging is the low temp IMO. The low temps will slow the aging process. This could be good for white burgs but not good for some Growth Bordeaux. I don’t know what changes in winemaking for recent or current vintages where the wines are meant to be drunk sooner than later. Many of the CA cabs IMO don’t really change much after 5 years. So your low temps may actually be good for them.

(in reply to Rossodio)
Post #: 2
RE: Will this kind of temp/humidity variation in my cel... - 7/13/2021 11:32:08 AM   
Blue Shorts

The air temperature fluctuations are likely not a problem at all.

At the end of the day, the only thing that matters is the temperature fluctuation of the wine in the bottles, which are much, much more stable than the air temperatures. If you are very concerned, you can buy a temperature logger that comes with a jack that you can use to plug in a bottle probe. Then you can monitor the temperature of the liquid (water) in a test bottle. You will likely be surprised at how small the temperature fluctuations are in the bottle.

(in reply to Rossodio)
Post #: 3
RE: Will this kind of temp/humidity variation in my cel... - 7/13/2021 1:19:58 PM   
Rossodio

quote:

ORIGINAL: Blue Shorts

The air temperature fluctuations are likely not a problem at all.

At the end of the day, the only thing that matters is the temperature fluctuation of the wine in the bottles, which are much, much more stable than the air temperatures. If you are very concerned, you can buy a temperature logger that comes with a jack that you can use to plug in a bottle probe. Then you can monitor the temperature of the liquid (water) in a test bottle. You will likely be surprised at how small the temperature fluctuations are in the bottle.

I figured that the temperature variation within the bottles themselves would be significantly less than that in the entire wine fridge. I would be very interested in getting one of those temperature loggers with a bottle probe. Do you know what these are officially called or where I can get ahold of one?

I am most interested really in determining whether the bottles in the bottom of the fridge are holding around the same temperature as those around the top of the fridge and those in the middle, on the outside near the door, nearer to the fan, etc. I think that simply moving a bottle probe to those various areas of the wine fridge and logging for a couple days in each would help me sort that out.

I am likely going to change the temp to 55 in the fridge as well, given I have a wide variety of wine types in there. I only set it lower because I thought the actual temp within the bottles was higher than the thermostat was recording. Will find out once I have the bottle probe!

- Rossodio
USA

Click below to see my profile on CT:

(in reply to Blue Shorts)
Post #: 4
RE: Will this kind of temp/humidity variation in my cel... - 7/14/2021 5:44:18 AM   
mclancy10006

Wine Bottle Temperature Probe. Like this one. http://www.cellarprocoolingsystems.com/bottle-probe

-Mark

(in reply to Rossodio)
Post #: 5
RE: Will this kind of temp/humidity variation in my cel... - 7/14/2021 4:57:36 PM   
Blue Shorts

quote:

Wine Bottle Temperature Probe. Like this one. http://www.cellarprocoolingsystems.com/bottle-probe

Thanks, Mark.

That is the one that I was thinking about since I have the CellarPro cooling unit. I don't know if that one will work with the OPs data-logger.

< Message edited by Blue Shorts -- 7/14/2021 5:02:57 PM >

(in reply to mclancy10006)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Will this kind of temp/humidity variation in my cellar hurt my wines' aging? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI