CellarTracker Main Site
Register for Forum | Login | My Profile | Member List | Search

Schott & Zwiesel Anecdote

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Schott & Zwiesel Anecdote Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Schott & Zwiesel Anecdote - 12/12/2022 7:09:01 PM   
JohnWino

Inspired by fairly recent discussions here I decided to invest in some decent wineglasses. I ordered a few Riedel Vinum glasses and after receiving them found many horror stories on broken glasses. Apparently you don't look directly at one of these because they break. I have had them for 4 days and treated them quite carefully and they are intact after 'All this time'.

I thought I should have a few tougher glasses so I bought some red wine Schott & Zwiesel red wine glasses with Titanium instead of Lead crystal in hopes that I can use these after I break each Riedel glass. I figure each Riedel I break will be followed by one month of the S&Z as some sort of penance.

Yesterday I received a box of Schott Zwiesel Tritan Vervino Burgundy Wine Glass-Set of 6. I tried one out and I found happily that they also hold wine without leaking. I liked them very much and probably shouldn't have bothered with the fussier Riedels.

As I put one of the six back into the box at my office chair, over a ceramic tile floor, the glass fell from my hand from about a three foot height. It fell to my two feet. It didn't break. It landed standing straight up, as though I had meant to pour a glass for my dog, if I had one.

I have been smiling all day over this incident. True story. I don't expect the S&Z glasses to always perform this well, but yesterday I was amazed. I think they have a new admirer.

< Message edited by JohnWino -- 12/12/2022 9:14:50 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Schott & Zwiesel Anecdote - 12/12/2022 9:30:22 PM   
Ibetian

They will sometimes break, and when they do they tend to shatter into a million pieces. But SZ glasses can take a licking and keep on ticking more than any other glasses I’ve used.

“I was a glutton at the banquet and spilt the finest wine,” Mick Jagger, Wandering Spirit

(in reply to JohnWino)
Post #: 2
RE: Schott & Zwiesel Anecdote - 12/13/2022 8:05:21 AM   
Hollowine

Great story!

...and nothing sucks more than wine glass shattered on the floor when bare feet are present

(in reply to Ibetian)
Post #: 3
RE: Schott & Zwiesel Anecdote - 12/13/2022 12:54:38 PM   
sastewart

We use Riedel Vinum glasses everyday (including larger wine gatherings) and wash them by hand. We have only broken 3 or 4 in about 20 years, mostly from people knocking them off of tables or counters.

(in reply to Hollowine)
Post #: 4
RE: Schott & Zwiesel Anecdote - 12/13/2022 1:06:21 PM   
oskiwawa

quote:

ORIGINAL: sastewart

We use Riedel Vinum glasses everyday (including larger wine gatherings) and wash them by hand. We have only broken 3 or 4 in about 20 years, mostly from people knocking them off of tables or counters.

^^^. This. Been using them for going on 25 yers. Once every couple of years we lose one but that is it. Wash by hand and always hold the bowl not stem when doing so.

(in reply to sastewart)
Post #: 5
RE: Schott & Zwiesel Anecdote - 12/13/2022 2:02:05 PM   
ChrisinCowiche

Great story! My dog prefers beer (just for future reference).

http://www.cellartracker.com/new/user.asp?iUserOverride=102173

(in reply to oskiwawa)
Post #: 6
RE: Schott & Zwiesel Anecdote - 12/13/2022 3:57:27 PM   
Slye

That is a great story! We have Riedel Sommelier and a bunch of Grassl's. I can't imagine either, particularly the latter, surviving a fall like that! Remarkably over the years we have not lost many at all. The few losses had to do with hand washing before we were more savvy about such things, and an errant ball thrown by a toddler a few years ago. Now we wash them in the dishwasher -- which results in far cleaner glasses than if we hand washed, and no breakage! And of course very easy. If we needed more glassware though, I would be tempted by these!

(in reply to ChrisinCowiche)
Post #: 7
RE: Schott & Zwiesel Anecdote - 12/13/2022 4:05:19 PM   
recotte

I retired most of my stemmed Riedels years ago in favor of Gabriel-Glas, of which <knocks on wood> I've only broken two, both the result of errant elbows knocking glasses onto hard tile floors. They do make a truly amazing mess. That aside, while the GGG are sturdier than their delicate appearance suggests, I certainly would not voluntarily put them to the vertical drop test that the SZ survived!

The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it. - Oscar Wilde

(in reply to Slye)
Post #: 8
RE: Schott & Zwiesel Anecdote - 12/13/2022 4:34:35 PM   
Blue Shorts

As Ibetian mentioned ,the SZ are tough, but when they break, it's like a bomb going off...and the glass shards are sharp and go everywhere.

Personally, I'd rather have glasses that break more often but pose little danger, than the SZ that goes everywhere when they break.

< Message edited by Blue Shorts -- 12/13/2022 4:41:14 PM >

(in reply to recotte)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Cellar Talk] >> General Discussion >> Schott & Zwiesel Anecdote Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI